remote desktop setup pppoe

LAByerly

      27th Oct 2009
I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection to one of my customers in
order to do some database mods.

His internet connect is PPPOE using a Dlink WB1310 router. The workstation
that I am trying to access has XP Pro

I have never been able to get remote desktop to work with out a static
public IP address.

Can someone point me to information that will help me set this up??

Thanks in Advance

David B.

      27th Oct 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p_03may16.mspx

"LAByerly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection to one of my customers in
> order to do some database mods.
>
> His internet connect is PPPOE using a Dlink WB1310 router. The
> workstation
> that I am trying to access has XP Pro
>
> I have never been able to get remote desktop to work with out a static
> public IP address.
>
> Can someone point me to information that will help me set this up??
>
> Thanks in Advance

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      27th Oct 2009
Hi
The public IP has to be known to you and it does not matter if it is static
or not, as long as you know what the current IP.
Means to deal with dynamic WAN IP here, http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
If the computer is behind a Router and thus the computer has a local IP.
The Remote Desktop Port as be opened through the Router toward the
Computer's IP.
This operation has to be done locally by the remote user. I.e. you have to
instruct the user how to open a port through his Router.
If you are not familiar with Port Forwarding, this site has a list of most
common consumers Routers with instruction to how-to.
Means to deal with dynamic WAN IP here, http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"LAByerly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection to one of my customers in
> order to do some database mods.
>
> His internet connect is PPPOE using a Dlink WB1310 router. The
> workstation
> that I am trying to access has XP Pro
>
> I have never been able to get remote desktop to work with out a static
> public IP address.
>
> Can someone point me to information that will help me set this up??
>
> Thanks in Advance

LAByerly

      14th Jan 2010
Thanks for the info - I figured that might be the case.