PC Review

PC Review (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/)
-   Windows XP Work Remotely (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/windows-xp-work-remotely-f181.html)
-   -   Remote Desktop/Printing Locally (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/remote-desktop-printing-locally-t530253.html)

Bob 14th Jul 2003 09:28 PM

Remote Desktop/Printing Locally

hi,

I am trying to get a remote desktop client to print to a
printer which is local to the client. I have two separate
setups I am trying to find out what is different aside
from the obvious.

Setup 1: The server side is running WinXP Pro and the
client side is a WinXP Home box. The printer attached to
the XP Home system does not automatically appear in the
Remote Desktop connection. I have a checkmark in the box
for Printers under Local Resources.

Setup 2: The server side is running WinXP Pro and the
client side is Win2K with RD client installed. When
connected from the 2K box, all local printers show up
inside the RD connection.

Can anyone tell me if there is an option I'm missing or
something about XP/2K that would make this work from 2K
but not from XP? I am stumped.

Bob Maltby
bmaltby@answerfactory.com

Mahadev Alladi[MS] 17th Jul 2003 06:52 AM

Re: Remote Desktop/Printing Locally

This is strange. Is the server WinXP the same machine in both Setup1 and
Setup2. If they are the same then this is really interesting. If they are
not the same server, then can you try connecting to the server that works
with WinXP Home and also double check by connecting to the other server from
Win2k machine?

Additionally what's the printer that is attached to the XP Home machine?

--
Mahadev Alladi [MS]
---

"Bob" <bmaltby@answerfactory.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> I am trying to get a remote desktop client to print to a
> printer which is local to the client. I have two separate
> setups I am trying to find out what is different aside
> from the obvious.
>
> Setup 1: The server side is running WinXP Pro and the
> client side is a WinXP Home box. The printer attached to
> the XP Home system does not automatically appear in the
> Remote Desktop connection. I have a checkmark in the box
> for Printers under Local Resources.
>

> Setup 2: The server side is running WinXP Pro and the
> client side is Win2K with RD client installed. When
> connected from the 2K box, all local printers show up
> inside the RD connection.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is an option I'm missing or
> something about XP/2K that would make this work from 2K
> but not from XP? I am stumped.
>
> Bob Maltby
> bmaltby@answerfactory.com

Jonathan 17th Jul 2003 07:59 AM

Remote Desktop/Printing Locally

If you find a soultion to setup #1 please let me know ASAP

thanks
jtp755@bellsouth.net

David 17th Jul 2003 05:36 PM

Re: Remote Desktop/Printing Locally

You need to install the printer drivers that the client
uses on the server. You can verify that this is the
problem because there will be an event created in the
Server event log stating that the printer driver could not
be loaded.

There are a couple ways to fix this:

1. From the server, install the printer that is connected
to the client and use an unused lpt port. This will load
the correct drivers into the server.

2. From the client, connect to the server using the
remote desktop, and use the new printer wizard. When
prompted for the port, use the port TSxx (where xx is a
number). This will cause your printer to start
functioning right away, and will automatically load the
next time you connect.

1. From the server, install a new printer

confers no rights.
>---
>
>"Bob" <bmaltby@answerfactory.com> wrote in message
>> hi,
>>
>> I am trying to get a remote desktop client to print to a
>> printer which is local to the client. I have two

separate
>> setups I am trying to find out what is different aside
>> from the obvious.
>>
>> Setup 1: The server side is running WinXP Pro and the
>> client side is a WinXP Home box. The printer attached

>> the XP Home system does not automatically appear in the
>> Remote Desktop connection. I have a checkmark in the

box
>> for Printers under Local Resources.
>>

>> Setup 2: The server side is running WinXP Pro and the
>> client side is Win2K with RD client installed. When
>> connected from the 2K box, all local printers show up
>> inside the RD connection.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if there is an option I'm missing or
>> something about XP/2K that would make this work from 2K
>> but not from XP? I am stumped.
>>
>> Bob Maltby
>> bmaltby@answerfactory.com

>.

sharksy 5th Oct 2011 06:17 PM

We had full problems with Remote desktop printing.
Please use some commecial solution.
My favorite is TSPrint RDPPrinting