Remote Desktop from one PC but not another but can with IP

S.C

      29th Jul 2007
I have a small intranet of 6 pc's.

I just added the sixth PC and got it up and running and connected to the
network fine.

I tried to connect using remote desktop by using the PC name
("XPcomputer_6") from PC 5 ("XPcomputer_5") it would not work. I tried to
connect using the ip (192.168.2.55) and it connected. After about 24hrs I
tried again by using the name("XPcomputer_6") and it connected.

I then tried to connect from another pc ("2Kcomputer_4") would not connect
by name but would by IP. So I figured I would wait a day and see if the name
would work. It did not, it has been 4 days, I can connect by IP but by name
it will not.

All PC's are running XP Pro except PC4 which is running Win2k Pro. The
win2kPro can connect to all other PCs by name using remote desktop.

How do I resolve the name connection?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Steve

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

      29th Jul 2007
Sounds like name resolution issue. I would check the DNS settings first. This link may help,

Can’t access one of workstations using RWW or RDC
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1113

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"S.C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQ2hhbGxlcw==?=

      29th Jul 2007
I've just had the same problem. I've been successfully using Remote Desktop
on my home LAN for over a year, using the computer name to initiate the
connection; it worked up until last week. This weekend when I tried, it
would not connect at all. I even changed the name on the host PC from
"children" to "kids" and although I could still access files through
Explorer, Remote Desktop would not connect. Rather by accident, I then tried
using the host's IP address and, bingo, it works. I tried going back to the
computer name and no joy. I wonder if Microsoft have changed something in
one of their updates recently that is upsetting this application. Any
thoughts?
David

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Sounds like name resolution issue. I would check the DNS settings first. This link may help,
>
> Can’t access one of workstations using RWW or RDC
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1113
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "S.C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a small intranet of 6 pc's.
>
> I just added the sixth PC and got it up and running and connected to the
> network fine.
>
> I tried to connect using remote desktop by using the PC name
> ("XPcomputer_6") from PC 5 ("XPcomputer_5") it would not work. I tried to
> connect using the ip (192.168.2.55) and it connected. After about 24hrs I
> tried again by using the name("XPcomputer_6") and it connected.
>
> I then tried to connect from another pc ("2Kcomputer_4") would not connect
> by name but would by IP. So I figured I would wait a day and see if the name
> would work. It did not, it has been 4 days, I can connect by IP but by name
> it will not.
>
> All PC's are running XP Pro except PC4 which is running Win2k Pro. The
> win2kPro can connect to all other PCs by name using remote desktop.
>
> How do I resolve the name connection?
>
> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

      30th Jul 2007
Do a simple test. In the remote computer, ping itself using the hostname. Can you do it?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"David Challes" <David (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I've just had the same problem. I've been successfully using Remote Desktop
on my home LAN for over a year, using the computer name to initiate the
connection; it worked up until last week. This weekend when I tried, it
would not connect at all. I even changed the name on the host PC from
"children" to "kids" and although I could still access files through
Explorer, Remote Desktop would not connect. Rather by accident, I then tried
using the host's IP address and, bingo, it works. I tried going back to the
computer name and no joy. I wonder if Microsoft have changed something in
one of their updates recently that is upsetting this application. Any
thoughts?
David

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Sounds like name resolution issue. I would check the DNS settings first. This link may help,
>
> Can’t access one of workstations using RWW or RDC
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1113
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "S.C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a small intranet of 6 pc's.
>
> I just added the sixth PC and got it up and running and connected to the
> network fine.
>
> I tried to connect using remote desktop by using the PC name
> ("XPcomputer_6") from PC 5 ("XPcomputer_5") it would not work. I tried to
> connect using the ip (192.168.2.55) and it connected. After about 24hrs I
> tried again by using the name("XPcomputer_6") and it connected.
>
> I then tried to connect from another pc ("2Kcomputer_4") would not connect
> by name but would by IP. So I figured I would wait a day and see if the name
> would work. It did not, it has been 4 days, I can connect by IP but by name
> it will not.
>
> All PC's are running XP Pro except PC4 which is running Win2k Pro. The
> win2kPro can connect to all other PCs by name using remote desktop.
>
> How do I resolve the name connection?
>
> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQ2hhbGxlcw==?=

      3rd Aug 2007
Bob,
If I understand you correctly, you've suggested pinging the host PC from the
remote PC using the hostname (in my case "kids", on the domain "home"). I've
tried this and got the following reponse:

"Pinging kids.home [195.238.237.142] with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out (displayed 4 times)

Ping statistics for 195.238.237.142:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)"

I then pinged again using the IP number (192.168.1.2) and got a 100% success.
However, I now can't get Remote Desktop workign even when I use the IP
number. I can still access files on the other PC using Windows Explorer!
WHatever the problem is, it seems to be getting worse!

Is this what you were expecting and any suggestion on how to get my hostname
recognised by Remote Desktop again?
Thanks in anticipation