remote desktop connection very slow

Aron Hubbard

      20th Aug 2003
This is driving my crazy. My cable modem connection is about 1100/700
(tested, actual downloads and uploads, not just speed tests). However
remote desktop crawls.
I've set it to 256 colors, leave sound at computer, 28.8 connection
(just bitmap caching) and still no luck. I click and anywhere from 10 to 60
seconds later something will happen. I can close the connection and connect
again and the image will have refreshed.
I'm forwarding port 3389 and for troubleshooting purposes I've disabled
my software firewall and a/v, that had no effect. All other programs work
fine. I'm connecting from a XP Pro computer on my office lan to an XP Pro
computer. Anybody have any ideas?

___________________
Aron Hubbard
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      22nd Aug 2003
What is the speed of the other side of the connection? The slowest
speed between the two links controls...

Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)
(E-Mail Removed)

Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:43:57 -0400, "Aron Hubbard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is driving my crazy. My cable modem connection is about 1100/700
>(tested, actual downloads and uploads, not just speed tests). However
>remote desktop crawls.
> I've set it to 256 colors, leave sound at computer, 28.8 connection
>(just bitmap caching) and still no luck. I click and anywhere from 10 to 60
>seconds later something will happen. I can close the connection and connect
>again and the image will have refreshed.
> I'm forwarding port 3389 and for troubleshooting purposes I've disabled
>my software firewall and a/v, that had no effect. All other programs work
>fine. I'm connecting from a XP Pro computer on my office lan to an XP Pro
>computer. Anybody have any ideas?
>

>___________________
>Aron Hubbard
>(E-Mail Removed)

Aron Hubbard

      23rd Aug 2003
Here on my corporate lan I average anywhere from 3mb/s-9mb/s up and
down. My remote connection is 1100kb down and 700 up. I've been able to
succesfully run speed tests and transfer files (via FTP) at those speeds
while remote desktop is being incredibly slow. Just doesn't make any sense.
Today I put the resolution to 640x480, decreased to 256 colors, left sound
at comp, didn't connect hard driver, and only used bitmap caching and still
so slow. Then tried again without bitmap caching, still no luck.

___________________
Aron Hubbard
(E-Mail Removed)

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the speed of the other side of the connection? The slowest
> speed between the two links controls...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)
> (E-Mail Removed)

> Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net
>
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:43:57 -0400, "Aron Hubbard"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > This is driving my crazy. My cable modem connection is about

1100/700
> >(tested, actual downloads and uploads, not just speed tests). However
> >remote desktop crawls.
> > I've set it to 256 colors, leave sound at computer, 28.8 connection
> >(just bitmap caching) and still no luck. I click and anywhere from 10 to

60
> >seconds later something will happen. I can close the connection and

connect
> >again and the image will have refreshed.
> > I'm forwarding port 3389 and for troubleshooting purposes I've

disabled
> >my software firewall and a/v, that had no effect. All other programs

work
> >fine. I'm connecting from a XP Pro computer on my office lan to an XP

Pro
> >computer. Anybody have any ideas?
> >

> >___________________
> >Aron Hubbard
> >(E-Mail Removed)

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      25th Aug 2003
OK, next step - what is your processor load (check with Task Manager
- Ctrl-Alt-End) when connected.. Maybe there is an errant process
that is causing this slowdown.

Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)
(E-Mail Removed)

Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:01:36 -0400, "Aron Hubbard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Here on my corporate lan I average anywhere from 3mb/s-9mb/s up and
>down. My remote connection is 1100kb down and 700 up. I've been able to
>succesfully run speed tests and transfer files (via FTP) at those speeds
>while remote desktop is being incredibly slow. Just doesn't make any sense.
>Today I put the resolution to 640x480, decreased to 256 colors, left sound
>at comp, didn't connect hard driver, and only used bitmap caching and still
>so slow. Then tried again without bitmap caching, still no luck.
>

>___________________
>Aron Hubbard
>(E-Mail Removed)
>

>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the speed of the other side of the connection? The slowest
>> speed between the two links controls...
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:43:57 -0400, "Aron Hubbard"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > This is driving my crazy. My cable modem connection is about

>1100/700
>> >(tested, actual downloads and uploads, not just speed tests). However
>> >remote desktop crawls.
>> > I've set it to 256 colors, leave sound at computer, 28.8 connection
>> >(just bitmap caching) and still no luck. I click and anywhere from 10 to

>60
>> >seconds later something will happen. I can close the connection and

>connect
>> >again and the image will have refreshed.
>> > I'm forwarding port 3389 and for troubleshooting purposes I've

>disabled
>> >my software firewall and a/v, that had no effect. All other programs

>work
>> >fine. I'm connecting from a XP Pro computer on my office lan to an XP

>Pro
>> >computer. Anybody have any ideas?
>> >

>> >___________________
>> >Aron Hubbard
>> >(E-Mail Removed)

      7th Sep 2003

A few guys here have had similar problems. It is not that
the RD client is slow, it seems to be that the windows
events are being queued up somewhere. If I slide the
pointer out of the window, or hover over the edge of a
pane (cursor changes), suddenly the window or pane will
update. Its like the client is one event behind.

The biggest problem is when selecting menus, because you
can't change focus, or the menu closes

If I reboot the remote machine (server), it starts being
responsive again.

I've taken to running a task manager "always on top". It
seems as if when it refreshes, the other windows will also
refresh.

Sound familiar?

Darrin

wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What is the speed of the other side of the

connection? The slowest
>>> speed between the two links controls...
>>>
>>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart

Display)
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the

benefit
>>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or

may not
>>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>>
>>> Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
>>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>>> Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net
>>> Windows XP Expert Zone -

connection is about
>>1100/700

tests). However

computer, 28.8 connection

anywhere from 10 to
>>60

connection and
>>connect

purposes I've
>>disabled

All other programs
>>work

office lan to an XP
>>Pro

>.

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgV2llZ2Vs?=

      24th Nov 2003
I have the exact same problem. It is definately something the matter with remote desktop and not the speed of the workstation since it will function fine locally. Once you reboot the station, everything works normally. Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm thinking of opening a case with Microsoft support.

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

      27th Nov 2003
Sounds like a memory leak.... I haven't seen this with the Remote
Desktop implementation, but your configuration/hardware may uncover a
hidden bug that could be causing this sort of memory leak...

Also double check the background programs you have running... These
applications may also be stealing some of your system performance over
time..

Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)
(E-Mail Removed)

Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:51:13 -0800, Scott Wiegel
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have the exact same problem. It is definately something the matter with remote desktop and not the speed of the workstation since it will function fine locally. Once you reboot the station, everything works normally. Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm thinking of opening a case with Microsoft support.

New Member

      3rd Aug 2007
Hey guys I had this exact same problem for the past couple of days (both pc's had good speed when at them locally but horrible connection between the two over windows remote desktop) and I fixed it.

I came across a page that said that hackers will listen on the default port for remote desktop (3389) and if they find it open on your IP they will use it to gain access to your system. The fix they recomended was to change the port and so far (for the past hour anyway) its worked for me.

Here is the microsoft article on how to change the port [edit]then when you want to connect you just put in your public IP followed by a colon and the new port you entered. Dont forget to forward this port thorugh your router.[/edit]

Hope that helps you out.
Shinobi
>><<

Last edited by shin0bi272; 3rd Aug 2007 at 06:42 PM..