"Remote Desktop Connection has expired"

Johann

      21st Mar 2010

When trying to open RDC on my XP computer I get the following message "The
pre release version of Remote Desktop Connection has expired" and when trying
to load an update from Windows on the Net I am told "... already loaded".
I have tried to uninstall RDC on my computer but cannot find the file.
What should I do?

Shenan Stanley

      21st Mar 2010
Johann wrote:
> When trying to open RDC on my XP computer I get the following
> message "The pre release version of Remote Desktop Connection has
> expired" and when trying to load an update from Windows on the Net
> I am told "... already loaded".
>
> I have tried to uninstall RDC on my computer but cannot find the
> file.
>
> What should I do?

Definitely should give more details.

What is it precisely you are trying to do/accomplish?
- Just open the Remote Desktop Client in Windows XP and above to remotely
connect to another computer?

What specific operating system, version of said operating system,
architecture of said operating system and service pack level of said
operating system are you utilizing?

What version of Internet Explorer is installed?

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying. That's the edition (in the top picture)
and the exact version number in detail (the 'version' line.)

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What AntiVirus application are you using? (Name and exact version, please.)
- Was any flavor of "Norton" products ever installed?
- Was any flavor of "McAfee" products ever installed?

Do you have a third party firewall - or are you using the built-in Windows
firewall?

Do you ever run any antimalware applications? If so - which ones and when
did you scan with them last (full scan, not quick)?

What version (if any) of Microsoft Office are you running?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP