Remote Control of Windows XP Desktop from a Linux machine?

Ian Wade G3NRW

      15th Nov 2009
I have two computers on a LAN:

Computer 1 runs Windows XP Home.

Computer 2 runs Linux.

I want to remotely control the desktop on the Windows machine from the
Linux machine.

Once the relevant software is installed, there will be no Internet
access from the LAN; that is, the remote control must not depend on any
Internet server to function.

Suggestions anyone for suitable software on each of the machines?

--
Ian

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      15th Nov 2009

Hi
Maybe this can Help,
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/6567/1/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Ian Wade G3NRW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43EhvFBjN5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two computers on a LAN:
>
> Computer 1 runs Windows XP Home.
>
> Computer 2 runs Linux.
>
> I want to remotely control the desktop on the Windows machine from the
> Linux machine.
>
> Once the relevant software is installed, there will be no Internet access
> from the LAN; that is, the remote control must not depend on any Internet
> server to function.
>
> Suggestions anyone for suitable software on each of the machines?
>
> --
> Ian

Bernd

      15th Nov 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I have two computers on a LAN:
>
> Computer 1 runs Windows XP Home.
>
> Computer 2 runs Linux.
>
> I want to remotely control the desktop on the Windows machine from the
> Linux machine.
>
> Once the relevant software is installed, there will be no Internet
> access from the LAN; that is, the remote control must not depend on any
> Internet server to function.
>
> Suggestions anyone for suitable software on each of the machines?

Look here:

http://jrdesktop.sourceforge.net/

Bernd

Anteaus

      15th Nov 2009

This can be very simply achieved with VNC.

On the Windows box, install the VNC server component. I generally use
TightVNC though there are several other builds available. Also install the
Mirage driver for better performance. Open a firewall port for the incoming
connection (typically port 5900)

On the Linux box you need a VNC client. Exactly how you obtain this depends
on the distro, but most will have one as a standard option. Or you can use
the KDE remote desktop client (krdc) which uses the same protocol. Launch
this and specify the IP address of the XP box.

krdc can, with the correct add-ons also access a Windows box in terminal
server mode if that is preferred.

"Ian Wade G3NRW" wrote:

> I have two computers on a LAN:
>
> Computer 1 runs Windows XP Home.
>
> Computer 2 runs Linux.
>
> I want to remotely control the desktop on the Windows machine from the
> Linux machine.
>
> Once the relevant software is installed, there will be no Internet
> access from the LAN; that is, the remote control must not depend on any
> Internet server to function.
>
> Suggestions anyone for suitable software on each of the machines?
>
> --
> Ian
>
> .

Ian Wade G3NRW

      16th Nov 2009
From: Bill Kearney <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 Time: 11:58:54

>> Suggestions anyone for suitable software on each of the machines?

>You could load VNC on the XP machine. RealVNC and TightVNC are two
>programs to consider. I've used RealVNC for ages and it works well.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Bill.

(I actually tried RealVNC some time ago, but at that time it was buggy
and slow. No problems now with VNC Server Free 4.1.3 under XP and
Firefox under Linux).

--
Ian