Reminders not appearing...

DaveWolf

      1st Apr 2008
When a reminder is created for a Sent email, that reminder does not appear.
This seems odd, since that would be logical to flag a sent message for follow
up after a given period of time. Any ideas on why or how to overcome?
--
Dave Wolf

Brian Tillman

      1st Apr 2008
DaveWolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When a reminder is created for a Sent email, that reminder does not
> appear. This seems odd, since that would be logical to flag a sent
> message for follow up after a given period of time. Any ideas on why
> or how to overcome?

What type of account?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

DaveWolf

      2nd Apr 2008
Our users are all on Exchange Server. The same problem exists on POP3 accounts.

The odd thing is that Outlook allows users to set flags on emails (which
appear and function as expected) as well as to set Reminders to notify users
for follow up. This creates a false sense of security for those who set
reminders - especially since the reminders work on some emails but not
others, even though all APPEAR to have the reminders properly set.
--
Dave Wolf

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> DaveWolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > When a reminder is created for a Sent email, that reminder does not
> > appear. This seems odd, since that would be logical to flag a sent
> > message for follow up after a given period of time. Any ideas on why
> > or how to overcome?

> What type of account?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman

      2nd Apr 2008
DaveWolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Our users are all on Exchange Server. The same problem exists on POP3
> accounts.
>
> The odd thing is that Outlook allows users to set flags on emails
> (which appear and function as expected) as well as to set Reminders
> to notify users for follow up. This creates a false sense of security
> for those who set reminders - especially since the reminders work on
> some emails but not
> others, even though all APPEAR to have the reminders properly set.

Are these messages in the delivery location Sent Items folder?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

DaveWolf

      3rd Apr 2008
That was where we first noticed the problem - in the Sent Items folder. We
also noted that other messages that we had sent (even to ourselves) would not
trigger reminders. Additionally, we have tried moving the messages to other
folders, however that hasn't caused the reminders to trigger either.

Thanks,
--
Dave Wolf

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> DaveWolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Our users are all on Exchange Server. The same problem exists on POP3
> > accounts.
> >
> > The odd thing is that Outlook allows users to set flags on emails
> > (which appear and function as expected) as well as to set Reminders
> > to notify users for follow up. This creates a false sense of security
> > for those who set reminders - especially since the reminders work on
> > some emails but not
> > others, even though all APPEAR to have the reminders properly set.

> Are these messages in the delivery location Sent Items folder?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman

      3rd Apr 2008
DaveWolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That was where we first noticed the problem - in the Sent Items
> folder.

....snip...
> Additionally, we have tried moving the messages to other
> folders, however that hasn't caused the reminders to trigger either.

What version of Outlook? For Outlook 2007, I believe all of your delivery
location folders will fire reminders. In Outlook versions prior to that,
reminders won't fire from any folder not a default and then only the Inbox,
Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks folders, from what I read at Microsoft's web
site.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

DaveWolf

      4th Apr 2008
Outlook 2003 is what we use.

We found a utility named "Extended Reminders" that will correct the issue -
we're testing it for a trial period - and it appears to do the job that
Microsoft neglected. It costs $15 per seat (less in volume) to fix the
reminder issue. Makes one wonder whether the utility's authors were part of
the design team for Outlook, then crafted an after-market solution in their
garage!? The "free market" is an interesting phenomenon.

Oh well.

Thanks much for the assistance!
--
Dave Wolf

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> DaveWolf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > That was where we first noticed the problem - in the Sent Items
> > folder.

> ....snip...
> > Additionally, we have tried moving the messages to other
> > folders, however that hasn't caused the reminders to trigger either.

> What version of Outlook? For Outlook 2007, I believe all of your delivery
> location folders will fire reminders. In Outlook versions prior to that,
> reminders won't fire from any folder not a default and then only the Inbox,
> Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks folders, from what I read at Microsoft's web
> site.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

      4th Apr 2008
No, I wrote Extended Reminders to fill a need that MS didn't.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"DaveWolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Outlook 2003 is what we use.
>
> We found a utility named "Extended Reminders" that will correct the
> issue -
> we're testing it for a trial period - and it appears to do the job that
> Microsoft neglected. It costs $15 per seat (less in volume) to fix the
> reminder issue. Makes one wonder whether the utility's authors were part
> of
> the design team for Outlook, then crafted an after-market solution in
> their
> garage!? The "free market" is an interesting phenomenon.
>
> Oh well.
>
> Thanks much for the assistance!
> --
> Dave Wolf

DaveWolf

      4th Apr 2008
Ken, I certainly appreciate your writing the utility.

It simply seemed like too obvious an omission on MS's part - and the fact
that it ALLOWED reminders to be set that would never trigger. It sounds like
MS resolved it in 2007, but with the economy being what it is a firm-wide
upgrade to that version is probably down the road a bit. (Maybe we'll skip a
version and wait for Office 20xx)

If our users find a benefit in it, we will definitely purchase the Extended
Reminders licenses! Thanks again.
--
Dave Wolf