Remembering windows positions

Si

      1st Oct 2006
Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's the
same for explorer and application windows....

Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?

Si.

R. McCarty

      1st Oct 2006
Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.

"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:451fa164$0$8746$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's
> the same for explorer and application windows....
>
> Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?
>
> Si.

Si

      1st Oct 2006
> "Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:451fa164$0$8746$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's
>> the same for explorer and application windows....
>>
>> Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?
>>
>> Si.

"R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
> Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
> each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
> larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
> Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
> Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.

Nope, that didn't work. I'm experimenting with the XP toy SyncToy and
everytime I run it, the damn thing moves further down the desktop!!!

Si

R. McCarty

      1st Oct 2006
Not personally familiar with that PowerToy. Some applications have
Size/Placement values that cannot be retained, such as Windows
Defender. However, it's interesting that you say it moves every time
you invoke it. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:451fa80f$0$24486$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:451fa164$0$8746$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's
>>> the same for explorer and application windows....
>>>
>>> Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?
>>>
>>> Si.
>>>

> "R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
>> Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
>> Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
>> each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
>> larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
>> Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
>> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
>> Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.
>>

> Nope, that didn't work. I'm experimenting with the XP toy SyncToy and
> everytime I run it, the damn thing moves further down the desktop!!!
>
> Si

NewScience

      1st Oct 2006
What type of Windows comes up ... does it look anything like a Windows
Explorer Window in any shape or form ... or a IE Window?

"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:451fa164$0$8746$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's
> the same for explorer and application windows....
>
> Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?
>
> Si.

Bob I

      2nd Oct 2006
Si wrote:

>>"Si" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:451fa164$0$8746$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Why won't XP remember the last position that a window appeared in - it's
>>>the same for explorer and application windows....
>>>
>>>Any hacks to fix it or shareware apps to cure the problem?
>>>
>>>Si.
>>>

> "R. McCarty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Windows allocates a fixed number of window size & placement settings.
>>Using SP2 that number is 5000. It's also a good idea to verify that the
>>Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (TAB) checkbox "Remember
>>each folder's view settings" is checked/tic'd. You can manually enter a
>>larger allocation number for the Registry key "BagMRU size" or get a
>>Registry patch file from Kelly's Korner that increases the value to 8000.
>>Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm &chose item #2.
>>Save the file and once downloaded, Double-Click to make the change.
>>

> Nope, that didn't work. I'm experimenting with the XP toy SyncToy and
> everytime I run it, the damn thing moves further down the desktop!!!
>
> Si

Cascade Windows set in Taskbar perhaps?