reinstall XP will erase all programs?

quy nguyen

      5th Jan 2008
Hi,
My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is not
workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do
not format it)?
Thank you very much for help.

nass

      5th Jan 2008

"quy nguyen" wrote:

> Hi,
> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is not
> workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
> if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do
> not format it)?
> Thank you very much for help.

The Question is did you perform the installation or not?, if you didn't and
you just asking, yes it will erase all programs and data. You will need to
Reinstall all the programs (extra ones) on the system.
If you still to decide, try to select from the "Black Screen Safe Mode" and
see if you can log in!. If you did then your Video card is malfunctioning and
you will need to replace it or look in the event viewer for error messages.
Tell us more if you need help, about the version of the operating system (Xp
Home or Pro), how old the machine?.

Just.some.guy

      5th Jan 2008
His first line is "Hi, My Windows XP pro is not bootable" so my guess would
be *Pro*.

"nass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "quy nguyen" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with
>> option
>> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
>> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is
>> not
>> workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to
>> know
>> if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I
>> do
>> not format it)?
>> Thank you very much for help.

> The Question is did you perform the installation or not?, if you didn't
> and
> you just asking, yes it will erase all programs and data. You will need to
> Reinstall all the programs (extra ones) on the system.
> If you still to decide, try to select from the "Black Screen Safe Mode"
> and
> see if you can log in!. If you did then your Video card is malfunctioning
> and
> you will need to replace it or look in the event viewer for error
> messages.
> Tell us more if you need help, about the version of the operating system
> (Xp
> Home or Pro), how old the machine?.

philo

      5th Jan 2008

"quy nguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is

not
> workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
> if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I

do
> not format it)?
> Thank you very much for help.

The first option would be to perform a repair install...
If that did not work for you...
you can perform a new install of XP *in a seperate folder*

DO NOT take any option to format the disk...
and your data will still be there.

You will have to re-install all updates
and all your applications though.

With data that exists in a former profile...you *might* have to take
ownership
to access it...but don't panic.
If you do not take any option to format your drive...
your data will still be there

nass

      5th Jan 2008

Hmmmm.... seen it now, still need some clearance on what been done and what
needed to be done.

If he/She didn't perform a clean installation, we may able to correct the
issue with the black screen, either way if the OP having trouble with
hardware like Video card or RAM or HDD going NUTS it will surely affect the
new installation or any Repair!.
HTH

"Just.some.guy" wrote:

> His first line is "Hi, My Windows XP pro is not bootable" so my guess would
> be *Pro*.
>
> "nass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > "quy nguyen" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with
> >> option
> >> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
> >> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is
> >> not
> >> workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to
> >> know
> >> if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I
> >> do
> >> not format it)?
> >> Thank you very much for help.

> > The Question is did you perform the installation or not?, if you didn't
> > and
> > you just asking, yes it will erase all programs and data. You will need to
> > Reinstall all the programs (extra ones) on the system.
> > If you still to decide, try to select from the "Black Screen Safe Mode"
> > and
> > see if you can log in!. If you did then your Video card is malfunctioning
> > and
> > you will need to replace it or look in the event viewer for error
> > messages.
> > Tell us more if you need help, about the version of the operating system
> > (Xp
> > Home or Pro), how old the machine?.

Just.some.guy

      5th Jan 2008

"nass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hmmmm.... seen it now, still need some clearance on what been done and
> what
> needed to be done.
>
> If he/She didn't perform a clean installation, we may able to correct the
> issue with the black screen, either way if the OP having trouble with
> hardware like Video card or RAM or HDD going NUTS it will surely affect
> the
> new installation or any Repair!.
> HTH

Sounds like you know waaaay more about computers than I do. I'm still
learning, but have gotten a lot by reading the posts here.

> "Just.some.guy" wrote:
>
>> His first line is "Hi, My Windows XP pro is not bootable" so my guess
>> would
>> be *Pro*.
>>
>> "nass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > The Question is did you perform the installation or not?, if you didn't
>> > and
>> > you just asking, yes it will erase all programs and data. You will need
>> > Reinstall all the programs (extra ones) on the system.
>> > If you still to decide, try to select from the "Black Screen Safe Mode"
>> > and
>> > see if you can log in!. If you did then your Video card is
>> > malfunctioning
>> > and
>> > you will need to replace it or look in the event viewer for error
>> > messages.
>> > Tell us more if you need help, about the version of the operating
>> > system
>> > (Xp
>> > Home or Pro), how old the machine?.

Ken Blake, MVP

      5th Jan 2008
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 11:35:02 -0800, "quy nguyen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is not
> workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
> if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do
> not format it)?
> Thank you very much for help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

db `.. >

      6th Jan 2008
you might be able to simply
utilize the "recovery console"
first and run a couple disk
utilities that might bring you
back on line.

if the recovery console method
proved not to be helpful, then
there may be an issue with faulty
hardware.

however, a "repair installation" with
your cd would be the next step. a
repair installation would replace any
missing or corrupted system files and
would preserve your programs. but
if the repair install failed then again
it might be an indication there is faulty
hardware involved.

further, if the repair installation was
unsuccessful then a new install (reinstall)
of windows may not be successful
as well.

however, if reinstalling a new windows
became the ultimate objective, then
i would install windows into a new partition
or another disk (if a slave is available),
thus leaving the old one/faulty o.s. as is.

that way if you finally had a functional pc
and could log into a functional o.s., you
could then work on / continue to operate
on the faulty one.

with the above method you would incur
a dual operating systems. however, its helpful
to have one o.s. handy and as an emergency
backup in case the other fails.
--

db `.. , . .`..><)))>`..`..`...><)))>.
><)))>`.. , . .`.. ><)))>`..`..`...><)))>

..

"quy nguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is not
> workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know if
> I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do not
> format it)?
> Thank you very much for help.

windmap

      6th Jan 2008
Boot from Windows Xp cd (you may have to change Boot Sequence in BIOS to be
able to boot from CD)
After Loading files (this may take a while) when it says "Welcome to setup"
Press R
Press "1" if it ask you to Choose windows installation
Enter Administrator Password when prompted to enter,If you dont have
Administrator password simply press enter.
Now you will have Prompt like this c:\windows\
Type CHKDSK /P in the prompt and press enter.
Once it completes Again type FIXBOOT in prompt and Reboot this should
resolve your problem.

"quy nguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
> such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
> continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is
> not workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to
> know if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files
> ( I do not format it)?
> Thank you very much for help.

Plato

      7th Jan 2008
quy nguyen wrote:

> My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option

Yeah it is. Your optical drive has failed. Very common.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/