How to reinstall Windows Installer ?

Lars

      2nd Dec 2003
When I try to, the system says the service already exists.

i tried to delete the :
msi.dll file (impossible --> in use...)
msihnd.dll
msiexec.exe

I then registerd these two dll files.

Still doesn't work...

Thanks by advance for any ideas.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

      2nd Dec 2003
Lars wrote:

> When I try to, the system says the service already exists.
>
> i tried to delete the :
> msi.dll file (impossible --> in use...)
> msihnd.dll
> msiexec.exe
>
> I then registerd these two dll files.
>
> Still doesn't work...

Hi

Try the methods one by one outlined here to fix Windows Installer problems in
Win2k and NT4:

PRB: Incorrect Default DCOM Settings Cause Windows Installer to Stop Responding

http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;EN-US;319624

After running through the four points above, also try this from Start/Run:

msiexec /regserver

If that doesn't solve your problem, and you have MSI 2.0 installed, downgrade
to version 1.1 (somewhat messy), and then install MSI 2.0 again:

Downgrading Windows Installer (Win2k):
http://desktopengineer.com/article.p...20710141950674

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Lars

      3rd Dec 2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Lars) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> When I try to, the system says the service already exists.
>
> i tried to delete the :
> msi.dll file (impossible --> in use...)
> msihnd.dll
> msiexec.exe
>
> I then registerd these two dll files.
>
> Still doesn't work...
>
> Thanks by advance for any ideas.

Ok, I found the solution.

These files are in fact protected files, and if are modified or
deleted, windows restores them.
Just needed to delete the restore sources, to avoid automatic restore
: dllcache folder an ServicePackFile folder.

Cya,
Lars

New Member

      19th Jun 2009
Try this link: Windows Installer Error. Hopefully, I can help others who seek more information on how to fix windows installer issues: