Reinstall using wceload - any way to avoid the question?

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

      25th Aug 2004
Supposedly, invoking wceload with /noui as a parameter will stop it
from asking any questions. This is incorrect - it still asks you if you
want to reinstall if the app is already installed.

We're looking at a whole auto-upgrade strategy at the moment, so could
do with knowing whether or not there's any way of bypassing that
completely.

wceldcmd sounds promising, but it also says it's meant for
headless/primitve devices and has almost no mention on the net.

Any ideas?

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

Peter Foot [MVP]

      25th Aug 2004
You should be able to use a custom setup dll (native code) and Install_Init,
one of the parameters indicates if the package is previously installed. You
should then be able to uninstall the package before allowing setup to
continue.

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP

Do have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Windows Mobile and
Embedded newsgroups? Let us know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/...ity/newsgroups

"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Supposedly, invoking wceload with /noui as a parameter will stop it
> from asking any questions. This is incorrect - it still asks you if you
> want to reinstall if the app is already installed.
>
> We're looking at a whole auto-upgrade strategy at the moment, so could
> do with knowing whether or not there's any way of bypassing that
> completely.
>
> wceldcmd sounds promising, but it also says it's meant for
> headless/primitve devices and has almost no mention on the net.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
> If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

      25th Aug 2004
Peter Foot [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You should be able to use a custom setup dll (native code) and Install_Init,
> one of the parameters indicates if the package is previously installed. You
> should then be able to uninstall the package before allowing setup to
> continue.

Hmm. Not quite what I was after - I was hoping I'd be able to get it to
effectively force a "Yes" for that dialog box. The two have different
effects - uninstalling the previous version does whatever clean-up it's
interested in, etc. I was hoping to allow for "no uninstall required"
and "uninstall required" scenarios, where I'd automatically run
unload.exe in the latter case. As it is, I'll probably end up with a
registry key which means "Really do extra uninstall stuff?" which is
set to "No" when the uninstall is just part of an upgrade. Horribly
hacky, but it should work...

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

Alex Feinman [MVP]

      25th Aug 2004
Ok, /noui which I've been suggesting to try, does not work indeed. What you
can do (slightly hacky, but seems to work) is to set
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\Your Company YourApplicationName\Instl] to
0 and then invoke wceload. Since you are reinstalling anyway, it wouldn't
matter.

--
Alex Feinman
---

Alex Feinman [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok, /noui which I've been suggesting to try, does not work indeed. What you
> can do (slightly hacky, but seems to work) is to set
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\Your Company YourApplicationName\Instl] to
> 0 and then invoke wceload. Since you are reinstalling anyway, it wouldn't
> matter.

Ooh, nice and horrible. I'll brood over that one while I'm on holiday

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

=?Utf-8?B?U3VoYXNTdXRhcg==?=

      5th Nov 2004
I did not understand the "Your Company YourApplicationName" part of the
setting.

Could you please explain more on this?

Thanks
Suhas
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:

> Alex Feinman [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Ok, /noui which I've been suggesting to try, does not work indeed. What you
> > can do (slightly hacky, but seems to work) is to set
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\Your Company YourApplicationName\Instl] to
> > 0 and then invoke wceload. Since you are reinstalling anyway, it wouldn't
> > matter.

> Ooh, nice and horrible. I'll brood over that one while I'm on holiday
>

> --
> Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
> If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Peter Foot [MVP]

      5th Nov 2004
This is the string which your installed application is registered under in
the Remove Programs dialog, and is based on the CompanyName and
ApplicationName that were built into your CAB file via settings in the .inf
file used to build it. If you are unsure what this is for your app then look
at the device registry and all entries in the Apps key.

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP
www.inthehand.com | www.opennetcf.org

"SuhasSutar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did not understand the "Your Company YourApplicationName" part of the
> setting.
>
> Could you please explain more on this?
>
> Thanks
> Suhas
> "Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Alex Feinman [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Ok, /noui which I've been suggesting to try, does not work indeed. What
>> > you
>> > can do (slightly hacky, but seems to work) is to set
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\Your Company
>> > YourApplicationName\Instl] to
>> > 0 and then invoke wceload. Since you are reinstalling anyway, it
>> > wouldn't
>> > matter.

>> Ooh, nice and horrible. I'll brood over that one while I'm on holiday
>>

>> --
>> Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
>> If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

=?Utf-8?B?U3VoYXNTdXRhcg==?=

      5th Nov 2004
Is this true for any CAB file installed OR just with .NET applications?

I am trying to install ringtones,wallpaper etc via .CAB files. I do not see
these registry entries created at all.

Thanks
Suhas

"Peter Foot [MVP]" wrote:

> This is the string which your installed application is registered under in
> the Remove Programs dialog, and is based on the CompanyName and
> ApplicationName that were built into your CAB file via settings in the .inf
> file used to build it. If you are unsure what this is for your app then look
> at the device registry and all entries in the Apps key.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Foot
> Windows Embedded MVP
> www.inthehand.com | www.opennetcf.org
>
> "SuhasSutar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I did not understand the "Your Company YourApplicationName" part of the
> > setting.
> >
> > Could you please explain more on this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Suhas

> >> Ooh, nice and horrible. I'll brood over that one while I'm on holiday
> >>

> >> --
> >> Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
> >> If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Peter Foot [MVP]

      5th Nov 2004
If I remember correctly there is a switch often used with ringtones etc
which doesn't write data for remove programs think the switch is /noremove
when you build a cab. Do the cab files show up in Remove Programs? that
applet enumerates these registry keys to list installed apps.
Also what device are you working on, there may be some differences here
between Pocket PC and Smartphone.

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP
www.inthehand.com | www.opennetcf.org

"SuhasSutar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this true for any CAB file installed OR just with .NET applications?
>
> I am trying to install ringtones,wallpaper etc via .CAB files. I do not
> see
> these registry entries created at all.
>
> Thanks
> Suhas
>
> "Peter Foot [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> This is the string which your installed application is registered under
>> in
>> the Remove Programs dialog, and is based on the CompanyName and
>> ApplicationName that were built into your CAB file via settings in the
>> .inf
>> file used to build it. If you are unsure what this is for your app then
>> look
>> at the device registry and all entries in the Apps key.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Foot
>> Windows Embedded MVP
>> www.inthehand.com | www.opennetcf.org
>>
>> "SuhasSutar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I did not understand the "Your Company YourApplicationName" part of the
>> > setting.
>> >
>> > Could you please explain more on this?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Suhas

=?Utf-8?B?U3VoYXNTdXRhcg==?=

      5th Nov 2004
Peter,

I am working on Smartphone 2003. Infact i am looking for a silet mode of
wceload and non of the switches mentioned in this forum work on Smartphone.
This particular question about the registry will help me to suppress the
confirmation for overwritting the already installed
application(ringtone/wallpaper etc) atleast. But it seems that i cannot
suppress other message boxes during the installation.

So far no luck with this.

Thanks in advance.
Suhas