Registry Change Not Seen

DC

      23rd Nov 2004
I recently received a .reg file from McAfee to resolve an issue. I backed up the registry, launched the .reg file, and got a successfully completed message. But when I look in the registry I cannot see any of the changes, even after refreshing. I tried to manually add the changes to the registry but each time I try I get a "key already exists" error. It appears as if the keys were added, but not visible, even through a search. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks,

Dave Patrick

      23rd Nov 2004
We're clueless without knowing what you're adding and where you're looking.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"DC" wrote:
I recently received a .reg file from McAfee to resolve an issue. I backed up
the registry, launched the .reg file, and got a successfully completed
message. But when I look in the registry I cannot see any of the changes,
even after refreshing. I tried to manually add the changes to the registry
but each time I try I get a "key already exists" error. It appears as if the
keys were added, but not visible, even through a search. Anyone seen
anything like this before?

Thanks,

DC

      23rd Nov 2004
Here is an example from the file sent from McAfee:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan]
"SkipIllegalUUELines"=dword:00000001

It completes successfully but if I look in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
do not see it, and if I do a search on: SkipIllegalUUELines, it comes up
with no matches. If I try and add the dword SkipIllegalUUELines manually to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
get the error message: The specified Value name already exists, type another
name and try again

Any ideas?

"Dave Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> We're clueless without knowing what you're adding and where you're

looking.

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "DC" wrote:
> I recently received a .reg file from McAfee to resolve an issue. I backed

up
> the registry, launched the .reg file, and got a successfully completed
> message. But when I look in the registry I cannot see any of the changes,
> even after refreshing. I tried to manually add the changes to the registry
> but each time I try I get a "key already exists" error. It appears as if

the
> keys were added, but not visible, even through a search. Anyone seen
> anything like this before?
>
> Thanks,

Dave Patrick

      23rd Nov 2004
It's possible it's a permissions issue. If the REG file didn't fix the issue
then you'll probably want to get back to McAfee

--

"DC" wrote:
| Here is an example from the file sent from McAfee:
|
| [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield
SMTP\MailScan]
| "SkipIllegalUUELines"=dword:00000001
|
| It completes successfully but if I look in:
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan
| do not see it, and if I do a search on: SkipIllegalUUELines, it comes up
| with no matches. If I try and add the dword SkipIllegalUUELines manually
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan
| get the error message: The specified Value name already exists, type
another
| name and try again
|
| Any ideas?

Tom

      23rd Nov 2004
DC wrote:
> Here is an example from the file sent from McAfee:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan]
> "SkipIllegalUUELines"=dword:00000001
>
> It completes successfully but if I look in:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
> do not see it, and if I do a search on: SkipIllegalUUELines, it comes up
> with no matches. If I try and add the dword SkipIllegalUUELines manually to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
> get the error message: The specified Value name already exists, type another
> name and try again
>
> Any ideas?

regedit /e file.reg HKEY_etc
try it as Admin.