The registry cannot load the hive file :\SystemRoot\System32\config\SOFTWARE or

rama

      23rd Dec 2003
Hi,

Stop:C0000218 (registry File Failure)
the registry cannot load the hive
(file):\SystemRoot\System32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or
Alternative
It is corrupt, absent or not writable
beginnning dump of physical memory

System Details:
Hardwareentium iv 1.7 GH
Hard disk :80 Gb Single disk
Software:
Dual bootable system
1)First Win98 was installed (c: drive)
2)Second Win2000 server was installed (d:drive)

Both of them are on different partition, win 2000 is on
NTFS converted format.

One day I booted through win 2000 server ,after seeing
some documents I was trying to shut it down, I did click
on start menu and then clicked on "Ok" button for shuting
down . After clicking this ,all of a sudden there was
power failure ,so before win 2000 could completly shut
down the there was power break down.I dont have UPS
(uninterrupted power supply)
After that I tried to boot through the win2000 server
but I couldn't, but when I tried to boot through win98 I
was successfull. Since I was not able to boot through
win2000 , so I shut down from win98 and restarted it in
dos prompt and tried to restore registry and I was able to
restore it, but when I restarted it to boot through
win2000 it failed again.
when I clicked "F8" for win2000 option I went through
the safe mode option,safe mode with dos prompt but with no
success,I did try with advance option in win2000 of "last
known good configration" but I got struck up at one point
ie,within that there is option to select hardware
profile/configration, and "return to default configration"
or quit. I am bit confused should I revert to default
configration or not. I want to make sure before doing
it,Since my system is dual bootable and I don't want to
loose any information in my win2000 d:drive. If this is
not the solution please let me know how I should boot with
my win2000 server successfully.

Thanks to all of You in advance,

Rama

Jerold Schulman