Registry, Antivirus, Shutting Down

DRJ

      17th Jan 2008
I had AVG Antivirus&Antispyware on my computer. Last year when I was running
the Antispyware the computer shutdown by itself? From then until now I have
experienced a slow computer, occasional shutting down - both at varying
rates. When it happened last year, over a month, trying to update the virus
descriptions etc., eventually the computer shut down and would not start at
all. I got assistance and got it into safe mode and eventually back to "just"
working, and enough to do what I wanted to do, but as I said very slow and
shut down of its own accord any time? Trying to work it out, just a novice by
the way, it seemed to be something in the registry? I tried a couple of
registry cleaners and found that the computer shut down at certain stages of
it - it was like something knew it was coming and had a way of preventing
being found? Recently I notice my computer being very slow, taking minutes to
load things up and to switch between programs etc. I checked the Windows Task
manager, which I have done over the last year to find many programs "Not
Responding", and found that the CPU usage was at 100% a lot of the time. I
googled it and found it might have been a registry issue which I have tried
again to sort with registry cleaners/checkers etc for the past week, but now
sending these questions in the hope someone can help me? I have read up some
things on the discussion groups and want to make sure of what I am doing
before doing anything with the registry? If the above descriptions sounds
familiar to anyone can you please give me some advice.

Andrew E.

      17th Jan 2008
The CPU may be at 100% due to amount of running services,uninstall what
isnt required.Also,CPU quality can have a factor (upgrade),also ram memory
may be at min.,increase ram.

"DRJ" wrote:

> I had AVG Antivirus&Antispyware on my computer. Last year when I was running
> the Antispyware the computer shutdown by itself? From then until now I have
> experienced a slow computer, occasional shutting down - both at varying
> rates. When it happened last year, over a month, trying to update the virus
> descriptions etc., eventually the computer shut down and would not start at
> all. I got assistance and got it into safe mode and eventually back to "just"
> working, and enough to do what I wanted to do, but as I said very slow and
> shut down of its own accord any time? Trying to work it out, just a novice by
> the way, it seemed to be something in the registry? I tried a couple of
> registry cleaners and found that the computer shut down at certain stages of
> it - it was like something knew it was coming and had a way of preventing
> being found? Recently I notice my computer being very slow, taking minutes to
> load things up and to switch between programs etc. I checked the Windows Task
> manager, which I have done over the last year to find many programs "Not
> Responding", and found that the CPU usage was at 100% a lot of the time. I
> googled it and found it might have been a registry issue which I have tried
> again to sort with registry cleaners/checkers etc for the past week, but now
> sending these questions in the hope someone can help me? I have read up some
> things on the discussion groups and want to make sure of what I am doing
> before doing anything with the registry? If the above descriptions sounds
> familiar to anyone can you please give me some advice.

derek wilkie

      8th Apr 2008
Regarding the issue with AVG, I have WindowsXP pro edition, and I had a lot
of problems with this antivirus software, I basically stick with Norton, no
problems with their software, maybe others have had no problems?
"Andrew E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The CPU may be at 100% due to amount of running services,uninstall what
> isnt required.Also,CPU quality can have a factor (upgrade),also ram memory
> may be at min.,increase ram.
>
> "DRJ" wrote:
>
>> I had AVG Antivirus&Antispyware on my computer. Last year when I was
>> running
>> the Antispyware the computer shutdown by itself? From then until now I
>> have
>> experienced a slow computer, occasional shutting down - both at varying
>> rates. When it happened last year, over a month, trying to update the
>> virus
>> descriptions etc., eventually the computer shut down and would not start
>> at
>> all. I got assistance and got it into safe mode and eventually back to
>> "just"
>> working, and enough to do what I wanted to do, but as I said very slow
>> and
>> shut down of its own accord any time? Trying to work it out, just a
>> novice by
>> the way, it seemed to be something in the registry? I tried a couple of
>> registry cleaners and found that the computer shut down at certain stages
>> of
>> it - it was like something knew it was coming and had a way of preventing
>> being found? Recently I notice my computer being very slow, taking
>> minutes to
>> load things up and to switch between programs etc. I checked the Windows
>> Task
>> manager, which I have done over the last year to find many programs "Not
>> Responding", and found that the CPU usage was at 100% a lot of the time.
>> googled it and found it might have been a registry issue which I have
>> tried
>> again to sort with registry cleaners/checkers etc for the past week, but
>> now
>> sending these questions in the hope someone can help me? I have read up
>> some
>> things on the discussion groups and want to make sure of what I am doing
>> before doing anything with the registry? If the above descriptions
>> sounds
>> familiar to anyone can you please give me some advice.

derek wilkie

      3rd Jun 2009
Thank you to all, I removed AVG from the hard drive and installed Norton, No
problems now.
"derek wilkie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Regarding the issue with AVG, I have WindowsXP pro edition, and I had a
> lot of problems with this antivirus software, I basically stick with
> Norton, no problems with their software, maybe others have had no
> problems?
> "Andrew E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The CPU may be at 100% due to amount of running services,uninstall what
>> isnt required.Also,CPU quality can have a factor (upgrade),also ram
>> memory
>> may be at min.,increase ram.
>>
>> "DRJ" wrote:
>>
>>> I had AVG Antivirus&Antispyware on my computer. Last year when I was
>>> running
>>> the Antispyware the computer shutdown by itself? From then until now I
>>> have
>>> experienced a slow computer, occasional shutting down - both at varying
>>> rates. When it happened last year, over a month, trying to update the
>>> virus
>>> descriptions etc., eventually the computer shut down and would not start
>>> at
>>> all. I got assistance and got it into safe mode and eventually back to
>>> "just"
>>> working, and enough to do what I wanted to do, but as I said very slow
>>> and
>>> shut down of its own accord any time? Trying to work it out, just a
>>> novice by
>>> the way, it seemed to be something in the registry? I tried a couple of
>>> registry cleaners and found that the computer shut down at certain
>>> stages of
>>> it - it was like something knew it was coming and had a way of
>>> preventing
>>> being found? Recently I notice my computer being very slow, taking
>>> minutes to
>>> load things up and to switch between programs etc. I checked the Windows
>>> Task
>>> manager, which I have done over the last year to find many programs "Not
>>> Responding", and found that the CPU usage was at 100% a lot of the time.
>>> googled it and found it might have been a registry issue which I have
>>> tried
>>> again to sort with registry cleaners/checkers etc for the past week,
>>> but now
>>> sending these questions in the hope someone can help me? I have read up
>>> some
>>> things on the discussion groups and want to make sure of what I am doing
>>> before doing anything with the registry? If the above descriptions
>>> sounds
>>> familiar to anyone can you please give me some advice.

David B.

      4th Jun 2009
Not the solution I would have recommended, but good luck with norton.