Registry and privacy

notval@notval.nv

      9th Oct 2008
I know of cookies, index files and suchlike. A great number of
cleaners are available to remove/shred those files.

My question is: includes the registry information on visited web sites
and/or downloaded files?

Thanx, Fred

Ken Blake, MVP

      9th Oct 2008
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:48:23 +0200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I know of cookies, index files and suchlike. A great number of
> cleaners are available to remove/shred those files.
>
> My question is: includes the registry information on visited web sites
> and/or downloaded files?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that question. But if you
are asking about registry cleaners, here's my standard post on the
subject:

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

notval@notval.nv

      9th Oct 2008
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:48:17 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:48:23 +0200, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I know of cookies, index files and suchlike. A great number of
>> cleaners are available to remove/shred those files.
>>
>> My question is: includes the registry information on visited web sites
>> and/or downloaded files?

>Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that question. But if you
>are asking about registry cleaners, here's my standard post on the
>subject:
>
>Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
>registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
>don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
>what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
>having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
>
>The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
>removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
>it may have.

John thanks. My question is related to privacy. What I wanted to say:
I know that traces of one's web activity can be found in -files-.
Files can be deleted/shredded.

Now the registry is different. My question: is there inside the
registry information on one's web/download history? Readable with
regedit, should you know where to look.

Fred

db.·.. >

      9th Oct 2008
the simple conclusion is that
the software you have or had
can be traced back to its origin
because of the keys in the
registry/database, whether the
keys are active or orphaned.

so this is one of the reasons
for keeping outdated data out
of the registry file/database.

however, different registry
cleaners utilize different
criterion for removing keys.

for example, the one care
safety scanner version and
then running eusing utilize
two different methodologies
for determining keys that can
be removed.

once the keys are removed they
are not recoverable.

however, the registry and the keys
it had can be restored via system
restore or from a back up.

another point to make is that
simply deleting files or folders
from your disk is the snake oil
because unless the space is "wiped"
cleaned and "replaced" with data
utilizing specialized software, then
that data, which is presumed to
be deleted, is in fact fully recoverable.

and yet the above is not totally
secure, because some software
that "wipe" away deleted data, simply
relocate that data to a different place
on the disk.

-----------

because you specifically asked about
cookie data inside the registry; its easy for
you to check for yourself and develop
your own understanding by clicking on:
start>run>regedit

then go to the menu and use the
"find" option/feature and enter
any criterion that you are interested
with.
--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know of cookies, index files and suchlike. A great number of
> cleaners are available to remove/shred those files.
>
> My question is: includes the registry information on visited web sites
> and/or downloaded files?
>
> Thanx, Fred

notval@notval.nv

      9th Oct 2008
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:22:59 -0500, db.·.. ><))) ·>` .. .
<databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com> wrote:

Snip,snip .....

>because you specifically asked about
>cookie data inside the registry; its easy for
>you to check for yourself and develop
>your own understanding by clicking on:
>start>run>regedit
>
>then go to the menu and use the
>"find" option/feature and enter
>any criterion that you are interested
>with.

Wow, I could have thought of that myself (but did not!)

Thanks, Fred