Recovery Console - I don't know the Administrator Password

Danforth France

      17th Dec 2003
I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
a way around this?

Danforth

Dave Patrick

      17th Dec 2003
If you can logon normally then reset it. Else you're likely out of luck.

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

"Danforth France" wrote:
> I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
> for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
> the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
> a way around this?
>
> Danforth

Ray at

      17th Dec 2003
Leave it blank if that's what the administrator account's password is.

Ray at work

"Danforth France" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
> for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
> the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
> a way around this?
>
> Danforth

Ray at

      17th Dec 2003
Are you saying you cannot enter the recovery console if you have just the
default admin account and you have a blank password for it? Nice! I'll
file that away as reason #234934 to NEVER have blank passwords.

Ray at work

"Dave Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you can logon normally then reset it. Else you're likely out of luck.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
>
> "Danforth France" wrote:
> > I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
> > for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
> > the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
> > a way around this?
> >
> > Danforth

Dave Patrick

      17th Dec 2003
Nope, didn't say that. You need to *know* the password (blank or otherwise)
for the local administrator account in order to start the recovery console.
In other words I guess if you didn't know it was blank and also didn't try
blank (typing random characters) then you would not get there. I guess I
assumed the op did try the enter key probably more than once.

--

"Ray at <%=sLocation%>" wrote:
> Are you saying you cannot enter the recovery console if you have just the
> default admin account and you have a blank password for it? Nice! I'll
> file that away as reason #234934 to NEVER have blank passwords.
>
> Ray at work

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      17th Dec 2003
Logon to Win2000 with your alternative admin account, then reset
the password for the primary admin account. Lastly, store the
details for both account in a safe place - they are the master keys
to your system!

"Danforth France" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
> for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
> the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
> a way around this?
>
> Danforth

resident cynic

      18th Dec 2003
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:38:08 -0700, "Dave Patrick"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you can logon normally then reset it. Else you're likely out of luck.

Nonsense!

There is a Linux boot disk that will let you reset the administrator
password on an NT/Win2K system.

Go to
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

and get this utility that will reset the admin password for you. Works
great! And it's FREE!!!

Sparker9

      18th Dec 2003
You can bypass this prompt with a change in the Local Security Settings (Administrative Tools).

Look under Local Policies | Security Options. Enable this > Recovery Console: Allow automatic administrative logon

--
Snarky Parker
.......Please respond to newsgroup only (e-mail is blocked)

"Danforth France" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
> for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
> the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
> a way around this?
>
> Danforth

---