PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Recovering chk files in the found.000 folder

 
 
rcoburn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Mar 2004
Is there any way to recover a .chk file in the found
folder after Win2K runs through check disk at startup?
The user's profile was completely removed. It created a
new folder with their name on it, but the profile is
acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover the
user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks in
advance for any help.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      31st Mar 2004
That file is unlikely to be related - it's the result of a chkdsk. You might
want to check out www.undelete.com to see if anything can be recovered - do
it soon, before the disk has seen a lot of new use!

In the future - always a good idea to do the following:

--Redirect My Documents elsewhere - either the user's home directory, if
you're on a network, or to a folder you create on the C drive. I always use
C:\Data.
--Never keep your Outlook PST file(s) in the default directory. With Outlook
closed, search for the PST file (in hidden/system folders) and move it
elsewhere, such as c:\data\outlook - and rename it username.pst to avoid
confusion. When you reopen Outlook, direct it to the new location/file when
it complains.

Profiles often have problems, and this ensures that at least most of the
stuff you care about won't be gone with the wind if a profile is corrupted
or deleted.

rcoburn wrote:
> Is there any way to recover a .chk file in the found
> folder after Win2K runs through check disk at startup?
> The user's profile was completely removed. It created a
> new folder with their name on it, but the profile is
> acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover the
> user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks in
> advance for any help.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      31st Mar 2004
Thanks for the tip. That's a really good idea on both
the My Documents and Outlook file. I'll have to do that
in the future.

>-----Original Message-----
>That file is unlikely to be related - it's the result of

a chkdsk. You might
>want to check out www.undelete.com to see if anything

can be recovered - do
>it soon, before the disk has seen a lot of new use!
>
>In the future - always a good idea to do the following:
>
>--Redirect My Documents elsewhere - either the user's

home directory, if
>you're on a network, or to a folder you create on the C

drive. I always use
>C:\Data.
>--Never keep your Outlook PST file(s) in the default

directory. With Outlook
>closed, search for the PST file (in hidden/system

folders) and move it
>elsewhere, such as c:\data\outlook - and rename it

username.pst to avoid
>confusion. When you reopen Outlook, direct it to the new

location/file when
>it complains.
>
>Profiles often have problems, and this ensures that at

least most of the
>stuff you care about won't be gone with the wind if a

profile is corrupted
>or deleted.
>
>rcoburn wrote:
>> Is there any way to recover a .chk file in the found
>> folder after Win2K runs through check disk at startup?
>> The user's profile was completely removed. It created

a
>> new folder with their name on it, but the profile is
>> acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover

the
>> user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks

in
>> advance for any help.

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      31st Mar 2004
No prob - it's on my "autopilot" list of things I do when I set up a
workstation, as I hate the default settings. I don't even think about it
anymore - my fingers just do it without my brain needing to be engaged!


(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. That's a really good idea on both
> the My Documents and Outlook file. I'll have to do that
> in the future.
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> That file is unlikely to be related - it's the result of a chkdsk.
>> You might want to check out www.undelete.com to see if anything can
>> be recovered - do it soon, before the disk has seen a lot of new use!
>>
>> In the future - always a good idea to do the following:
>>
>> --Redirect My Documents elsewhere - either the user's home
>> directory, if you're on a network, or to a folder you create on the
>> C drive. I always use C:\Data.
>> --Never keep your Outlook PST file(s) in the default directory. With
>> Outlook closed, search for the PST file (in hidden/system folders)
>> and move it elsewhere, such as c:\data\outlook - and rename it
>> username.pst to avoid confusion. When you reopen Outlook, direct it
>> to the new location/file when it complains.
>>
>> Profiles often have problems, and this ensures that at least most of
>> the stuff you care about won't be gone with the wind if a profile is
>> corrupted or deleted.
>>
>> rcoburn wrote:
>>> Is there any way to recover a .chk file in the found
>>> folder after Win2K runs through check disk at startup?
>>> The user's profile was completely removed. It created a
>>> new folder with their name on it, but the profile is
>>> acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover the
>>> user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks in
>>> advance for any help.

>>
>>
>> .



 
Reply With Quote
 
Liron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2004

Hello, I found this problem on google, I have the exact same problem
Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered, they're i
a C:\ directory, weighing like 2GB, probably including all my e-mail
there, which I REALLY need. Is there ANY way to fix it?

I am using a different computer now, I don't want to write any othe
data on my computer at home.

Thank you so much.
My e-mail is (E-Mail Removed)


-
Liro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message165771.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
R. C. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Nov 2004
Hi, Liron.

> Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,


Yes. And no.

Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectly recognizable and
readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and rename it back
to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothing but
"garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program that you can't
identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which might be a
portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic, or a
music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, or who knows
what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, you MAY be
able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are, though,
that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at an unreasonable cost
in time and/or money.

It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of the files.
Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to be somewhat
less than 10% of the lost files.

IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Liron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hello, I found this problem on google, I have the exact same problem.
> Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered, they're in
> a C:\ directory, weighing like 2GB, probably including all my e-mails
> there, which I REALLY need. Is there ANY way to fix it?
>
> I am using a different computer now, I don't want to write any other
> data on my computer at home.
>
> Thank you so much.
> My e-mail is (E-Mail Removed)
>
>
>
> --
> Liron


 
Reply With Quote
 
Liron
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Nov 2004

R. C. White wrote:
> *Hi, Liron.
>
> > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,

>
> Yes. And no.
>
> Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectl
> recognizable and
> readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and renam
> it back
> to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothin
> but
> "garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program tha
> you can't
> identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which migh
> be a
> portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic
> or a
> music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, o
> who knows
> what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, yo
> MAY be
> able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are
> though,
> that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at a
> unreasonable cost
> in time and/or money.
>
> It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of th
> files.
> Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to b
> somewhat
> less than 10% of the lost files.
>
> IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
> Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> [/vbcol] *


Thank you so much RC! That was extremely helpful as I think I can A
LEAST try to recover my DBX files (which are the most important one
anyway). Some CHK files were over 600MB so I'm assuming it's the DB
files. So what I should do is basically rename those chk files to .db
and see which ones work?

Thank you again


-
Liro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message165771.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
yep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Dec 2004

rcoburn wrote:
> *Is there any way to recover a .chk file in the found
> folder after Win2K runs through check disk at startup?
> The user's profile was completely removed. It created a
> new folder with their name on it, but the profile is
> acting like a totally new user. I'm hoping to recover the
> user's .pst file from in the found.000 folder. Thanks in
> advance for any help. *


I have had the same problem with the found.000 folder. My compute
found a problem with my partition table and moved everything to th
folder named folder.000. It keeped telling me I didn't have access t
open the files and founder in it. They are not aways lost because
was able to recover most everthing. I searched the internet an
everyone told me that stuff was gone. I found out that most was stil
there and in working order.

Ok I found a way to recover if you are running XP PRO. turnoff simpl
file sharing and take owership of the folder and all subdirectories.
After that you should be able to copy the files to a place of you
choice. I made sure I moved the files to another hard drive to avoi
this again if my hard drive was ready to go or getting close to it!

I don't know if this will help you but I did this and was able t
recover most everything


-
ye
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message165771.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
Techwanhabe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      14th Jun 2005

R. C. White wrote:
> *Hi, Liron.
>
> > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered,

>
> Yes. And no.
>
> Open a chk file with Notepad and you might see a perfectly
> recognizable and
> readable simple text file. All you have to do is save it and rename
> it back
> to the original name. But it's more likely that you will see nothing
> but
> "garbage", which really is hex code for an executable program that
> you can't
> identify. Or it may be a mixture of hex codes and text, which might
> be a
> portion of a database, or a spreadsheet, or a photo or other graphic,
> or a
> music file, or a Word document, or an Outlook Express dbx file, or
> who knows
> what? If you are a real computer guru with lots of free time, you
> MAY be
> able to identify, sort and reassemble such a file. Chances are,
> though,
> that such reassembly is impossible or possible only at an
> unreasonable cost
> in time and/or money.
>
> It MAY be worth the effort to try to identify and recover some of the
> files.
> Experience tells me, though, that you success rate is likely to be
> somewhat
> less than 10% of the lost files.
>
> IF you can recover identifiable OE dbx files, post back. MVP Steve
> Cochran's program may be able to recover emails from those.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Liron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hello, I found this problem on google, I have the exact same

> problem.
> > Please please please tell me if chk files can be recovered, they're

> in
> > a C:\ directory, weighing like 2GB, probably including all my

> e-mails
> > there, which I REALLY need. Is there ANY way to fix it?
> >
> > I am using a different computer now, I don't want to write any

> other
> > data on my computer at home.
> >
> > Thank you so much.
> > My e-mail is (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Liron *


I just finished using Spinrite on an unaccessible laptop HD. I
installed it as a slave and was able to access the drive. It created a
found.000 folder. I did a search on that drive for *.pst and was able
to save it and any other file I searched for by extension. You could
manually search through the found.000 folder if you wish.



--
Techwanhabe
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message165771.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOUND.0000/DIR00*.CHK folder after HD problem. What to do with them ? Newsgroup_user Windows XP Help 3 19th Oct 2005 10:58 PM
Re: Found.0001.CHK to Found.014.CHK folders pcbutts1 DIY PC 0 24th Jul 2005 01:08 PM
FOUND.000 folder with .chk files found chris henry Microsoft Windows 2000 File System 2 17th Jan 2004 12:33 AM
ANN: CHK-Mate CHK file analysis and content recovery Joep Microsoft Windows 2000 File System 0 16th Jan 2004 05:29 PM
recovering files in found.000 folders (not chk files) kramajNOSPAM@monmouth.com Windows XP Help 1 11th Jan 2004 02:27 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:59 PM.