How to recover my powerpoint file

Wei Li

      10th Jul 2003
Dear experts out there:

After finished defending my thesis, I saved my powerpoint
file. To my devastation, I could not open the file in
powerpoint anymore on my PC. The copy I left with my boss
could not open in his Mac either. I desperately need to
have it recovered. I tried to open a copy with Word, and I
see pages of strange symbols which indicates that the data
is there and the file size is about 2MB (I have a lot of
graphs). But everytime I tried to open with Powerpoint, it
always complain that Powerpoint can't open the file. Could
anyone suggest any way to recover it? If there is any
commercial service that can do that, I don't mind to pay a
reasonable amount to have it recovered.

Thank you so much

Wei Li

TAJ Simmons

      10th Jul 2003
Wei Li,

See this page for ways to recover your presentation....
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00108.htm

Before you do anything I would copy the file, and work with the copy.

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free sample templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

"Wei Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:010e01c346fc$a2c5a2b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear experts out there:
>
> After finished defending my thesis, I saved my powerpoint
> file. To my devastation, I could not open the file in
> powerpoint anymore on my PC. The copy I left with my boss
> could not open in his Mac either. I desperately need to
> have it recovered. I tried to open a copy with Word, and I
> see pages of strange symbols which indicates that the data
> is there and the file size is about 2MB (I have a lot of
> graphs). But everytime I tried to open with Powerpoint, it
> always complain that Powerpoint can't open the file. Could
> anyone suggest any way to recover it? If there is any
> commercial service that can do that, I don't mind to pay a
> reasonable amount to have it recovered.
>
> Thank you so much
>
> Wei Li

Don Althaus

      10th Jul 2003
I would just like to reinforce that the suggestion to try and open the
presentation in Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org) mentioned to the PPT
FAQ is a viable one. I have recoverd several presentations from students
this way. The trick is to open it and run through the entire show to make
sure it is ok. Then save it to a different file name, don't just overwrite
the existing file.

"Wei Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:010e01c346fc$a2c5a2b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear experts out there:
>
> After finished defending my thesis, I saved my powerpoint
> file. To my devastation, I could not open the file in
> powerpoint anymore on my PC. The copy I left with my boss
> could not open in his Mac either. I desperately need to
> have it recovered. I tried to open a copy with Word, and I
> see pages of strange symbols which indicates that the data
> is there and the file size is about 2MB (I have a lot of
> graphs). But everytime I tried to open with Powerpoint, it
> always complain that Powerpoint can't open the file. Could
> anyone suggest any way to recover it? If there is any
> commercial service that can do that, I don't mind to pay a
> reasonable amount to have it recovered.
>
> Thank you so much
>
> Wei Li

Steve Rindsberg

      10th Jul 2003
"TAJ Simmons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve, would it make sense to combine 108 and 423 in the next friday
> session?

I don't think so - 108's Windows specific, 423 is the Mac version.
I just added a link from 108 to 423 for the Mac folk who wander in by
mistake, though.