Reading and copying hidden Nokia contents file on C drive

David Jobson

      2nd Oct 2009
Prior to a Nokia software update, as instructed, I backed up all of the phone
content using the Nokia PC Suite Content Copier application.
After the update I then restored the information back to my phone.
Evreything transferred except the all important Contact details of names and
phone numbers.
In spite or repeated efforts and support form Nokia the problem persists.
However, I can see the hidden file along with previous back-ups in
c:\documents and settings\application data\nokia\content copier.
Is it possible to open or copy to a Word or similar application so I can
read and then manually re-create the Contacts on my phone?
The file size is 4747kb
Help please will be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
David

JoeSpareBedroom

      2nd Oct 2009
"David Jobson" <David http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Prior to a Nokia software update, as instructed, I backed up all of the
> phone
> content using the Nokia PC Suite Content Copier application.
> After the update I then restored the information back to my phone.
> Evreything transferred except the all important Contact details of names
> and
> phone numbers.
> In spite or repeated efforts and support form Nokia the problem persists.
> However, I can see the hidden file along with previous back-ups in
> c:\documents and settings\application data\nokia\content copier.
> Is it possible to open or copy to a Word or similar application so I can
> read and then manually re-create the Contacts on my phone?
> The file size is 4747kb
> Help please will be greatly appreaciated.
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Regards,
> David

Minimal effort with google ("how to view nokia backup files") led to this
page at the top of the search results:

http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/1...okia-contacts/

....which mentioned this:

http://www.nokisoft.com/

Bernd

      2nd Oct 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Minimal effort with google ("how to view nokia backup files") led to this
> page at the top of the search results:
>
> http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/1...okia-contacts/
>
> ...which mentioned this:
>
> http://www.nokisoft.com/

A cheaper way is to open the .nbu file with notepad and search for the
string BEGIN:VCARD

At the 1st occurrence starts the list of contacts.

Bernd

David Jobson

      2nd Oct 2009
Bernd,
Many thanks - it worked perfectly.
I now have an eleven page four column list of contacts transfered from
Notepad and saved on Word.
I can now begin to re-enter manually on my phone, unless you know of an
equally smart way to do that automatically!!?
Regards,
David

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>

> > Minimal effort with google ("how to view nokia backup files") led to this
> > page at the top of the search results:
> >
> > http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/1...okia-contacts/
> >
> > ...which mentioned this:
> >
> > http://www.nokisoft.com/
> >

> A cheaper way is to open the .nbu file with notepad and search for the
> string BEGIN:VCARD
>
> At the 1st occurrence starts the list of contacts.
>
> Bernd

JoeSpareBedroom

      2nd Oct 2009
This won't answer the question about re-entering the data, but does your
cell service provider offer a feature which backs up contacts to THEIR web
site? For instance, Verizon offers this, and it can be automated. If
something happens to the phone, the procedure can be reversed, sending all
the data back to the phone.

"David Jobson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bernd,
> Many thanks - it worked perfectly.
> I now have an eleven page four column list of contacts transfered from
> Notepad and saved on Word.
> I can now begin to re-enter manually on my phone, unless you know of an
> equally smart way to do that automatically!!?
> Regards,
> David
>
> "Bernd" wrote:
>

>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>

>> > Minimal effort with google ("how to view nokia backup files") led to
>> > this
>> > page at the top of the search results:
>> >
>> > http://www.killertechtips.com/2008/1...okia-contacts/
>> >
>> > ...which mentioned this:
>> >
>> > http://www.nokisoft.com/
>> >

>> A cheaper way is to open the .nbu file with notepad and search for the
>> string BEGIN:VCARD
>>
>> At the 1st occurrence starts the list of contacts.
>>
>> Bernd

David Jobson

      2nd Oct 2009
Joe,
I'll let you know.
David

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

> This won't answer the question about re-entering the data, but does your
> cell service provider offer a feature which backs up contacts to THEIR web
> site? For instance, Verizon offers this, and it can be automated. If
> something happens to the phone, the procedure can be reversed, sending all
> the data back to the phone.
>

> "David Jobson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Bernd,
> > Many thanks - it worked perfectly.
> > I now have an eleven page four column list of contacts transfered from
> > Notepad and saved on Word.
> > I can now begin to re-enter manually on my phone, unless you know of an
> > equally smart way to do that automatically!!?
> > Regards,
> > David
> >
> > "Bernd" wrote:
> >

> >> -------- Original-Nachricht --------

> >> A cheaper way is to open the .nbu file with notepad and search for the
> >> string BEGIN:VCARD
> >>
> >> At the 1st occurrence starts the list of contacts.
> >>
> >> Bernd

Bernd

      3rd Oct 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Bernd,
> Many thanks - it worked perfectly.
> I now have an eleven page four column list of contacts transfered from
> Notepad and saved on Word.
> I can now begin to re-enter manually on my phone, unless you know of an
> equally smart way to do that automatically!!?
> Regards,
> David

Mmmmh ...

1st idea: import in Outlook, sync with mobile

2nd idea: create csv file in Nokia format, import with Nokia PC suite,
but tricky ...
Look here:
http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discu...hread.id=30787

Bernd

petrusek

      24th Nov 2009
Once you have contacts in form of *.vcf files, it should be possible to
simply drag&drop them to phone using Nokia's Pc Suite (Communication center
or something like that...).

Much more comfortable way to get vcf (and more) files from nbu backups than
using notepad and word is freeware called NbuExplorer.