Read only attribute and access denied

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5?=

      22nd May 2006
I have purchased a new machine with XP MCE 2005. I want to copy files from an
old XP Home machine: I've installed the old drive as a slave in the new
machine to do this but I keep getting read-only attributes notation and when
I change attributes I get " access denied".
I've used this method successfully before on XP Home > XP Home machines.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks!

Ray

Nepatsfan

      22nd May 2006
(E-Mail Removed),
Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have purchased a new machine with XP MCE 2005. I want to
> copy files from an old XP Home machine: I've installed the
> old drive as a slave in the new machine to do this but I
> keep getting read-only attributes notation and when I change
> attributes I get " access denied".
> I've used this method successfully before on XP Home > XP
> Home machines. Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ray

You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here
for
the procedure:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5?=

      22nd May 2006
Nepatsfan,

Thanks for your suggestion - I'm just about to try it out. Will let you know.
Thanks.

Ray

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed),
> Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have purchased a new machine with XP MCE 2005. I want to
> > copy files from an old XP Home machine: I've installed the
> > old drive as a slave in the new machine to do this but I
> > keep getting read-only attributes notation and when I change
> > attributes I get " access denied".
> > I've used this method successfully before on XP Home > XP
> > Home machines. Any suggestions gratefully received.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ray

> You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here
> for
> the procedure:
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5?=

      22nd May 2006
Well done, Nepatsfan: that sorted it. Thanks, you are a star.
Now I have one further problem. I am able to copy programs from old drive to
new but I cannot get them to run. In most cases I have the original disks, so
that won't be a problem and the main thing was to be able to copy Word, Excel
files etc. But, for instance, I had 2 programs given free with the scanner
and which I used frequently. I cannot find original disks and the programs
just sit in Program Files and I can't get them to install or run.
Is there any hope for me here?

Thanks

Ray

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed),
> Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have purchased a new machine with XP MCE 2005. I want to
> > copy files from an old XP Home machine: I've installed the
> > old drive as a slave in the new machine to do this but I
> > keep getting read-only attributes notation and when I change
> > attributes I get " access denied".
> > I've used this method successfully before on XP Home > XP
> > Home machines. Any suggestions gratefully received.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ray

> You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look here
> for
> the procedure:
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Nepatsfan

      22nd May 2006
Glad to hear you were able to recover your files.

Short of reinstalling the programs on the new computer, I'm
unaware of any method to successfully transfer programs from
one computer to another.

You might want to post this question on the XP General
newsgroup to see if anyone there knows whether it's possible.

Nepatsfan

(E-Mail Removed),
Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well done, Nepatsfan: that sorted it. Thanks, you are a star.
> Now I have one further problem. I am able to copy programs
> from old drive to new but I cannot get them to run. In most
> cases I have the original disks, so that won't be a problem
> and the main thing was to be able to copy Word, Excel files
> etc. But, for instance, I had 2 programs given free with the
> scanner and which I used frequently. I cannot find original
> disks and the programs just sit in Program Files and I can't
> get them to install or run.
> Is there any hope for me here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed),
>> Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I have purchased a new machine with XP MCE 2005. I want to
>>> copy files from an old XP Home machine: I've installed the
>>> old drive as a slave in the new machine to do this but I
>>> keep getting read-only attributes notation and when I
>>> change attributes I get " access denied".
>>> I've used this method successfully before on XP Home > XP
>>> Home machines. Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Ray

>> You may need to take ownership of the files. Take a look
>> here for
>> the procedure:
>>
>> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>>
>> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a
>> Folder http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5?=

      23rd May 2006
nepatsfan,

Thanks again for your help. I'll follow your advice.

Ray