How to read a BLOB from Oracle

Chuck Vance

      4th Dec 2007
Hello ng,

I try to read a BLOB (HugeBlob) field from oracle 10g database.
(dotnet-framework 1.1, 2.0)

1.) I have no chances to install / register third party DLLs because I don't have local admin rights.
2.) When using "System.Data.OracleClient" the Connection fires the exception "Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater
needed" when its trying to open.

So using OleDB seems to be the only choice. "Provider=MSDAORA;..."

I can access all "nornal" fields/columns. Only the BLOB causes the exception:
"The datatype is not supported." (translated)

How can I access the BLOB?
Thanx in advance.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

      5th Dec 2007
Download odp.net from otn.oracle.com. It is Oracle's stack for .NET.

Why? The .Net 2.0 provider is OLD. It was written during the 8i timeframe
and I am not sure if it has been updated. Perhaps in SP1 for .NET Framework
2.0, but certainly not in the original release bits. Oracle, on the other
hand, has altered parts database access bits, which make the OracleClient
(at least the original installed with the Framework) puke on 10g. NOTE that
you will have to download the correct ODP.NET, unless Oracle has refined the
libraries to span the offerings (doubt it, but possible).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box!

"Chuck Vance" <nomail@invalid> wrote in message
news:fj47gt$7tt$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hello ng,
>
> I try to read a BLOB (HugeBlob) field from oracle 10g database.
> (dotnet-framework 1.1, 2.0)
>
> 1.) I have no chances to install / register third party DLLs because I
> don't have local admin rights.
> 2.) When using "System.Data.OracleClient" the Connection fires the
> exception "Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater
> needed" when its trying to open.
>
> So using OleDB seems to be the only choice. "Provider=MSDAORA;..."
>
> I can access all "nornal" fields/columns. Only the BLOB causes the
> exception:
> "The datatype is not supported." (translated)
>
> How can I access the BLOB?
> Thanx in advance.

Chuck Vance

      5th Dec 2007
Hi Gregory,
> you will have to download the correct ODP.NET, unless Oracle has refined the libraries to span the offerings (doubt it, but
> possible).

>> 1.) I have no chances to install / register third party DLLs because I don't have local admin rights.

Can the ODP.NET be installed/used without admin rights?
Chuck