Re: XP Pro Start-up sound refuses to play

VanguardLH

      25th Jun 2011
Gregg Harris wrote:

<snipped the body>

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
(E-Mail Removed) ---

This is NOT a valid signature (which is delimited by a "-- \n" line).
That means their spam is in the BODY of your post. That means they
spamify your posts. If you continue posting through this provider while
they spamify your posts then you choose to be their spamming affiliate
and your posts are spam.

VanguardLH

      26th Jun 2011
Roy Smith wrote:

> On 6/25/2011 12:34 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Gregg Harris wrote:
>>
>> <snipped the body>
>>
>> --- Posted via freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to
>> news_netfront.net ---

> <links intentionally munged>
>

>> This is NOT a valid signature (which is delimited by a "-- \n" line).
>> That means their spam is in the BODY of your post. That means they
>> spamify your posts. If you continue posting through this provider while
>> they spamify your posts then you choose to be their spamming affiliate
>> and your posts are spam.

> It appears that this is also added after he's written his post and sent
> it to the news server for posting. So one would naturally assume that
> by simply adding a valid signature, then this "spam" would then appear
> as part of the signature and not be in the body of the message. Now if
> it doesn't, then this newsgroup provider is altering your posts and
> personally I would be looking for another newsgroup provider that didn't
> do this.

Several Usenet providers append their promotional "signature" (spam) to
posts submitted through them. I paid the signup fee for Teranews "free"
service but when I saw they were spamifying my posts with their promo
appendage I immediately discarded them. I believe they later removed
their spam crap but that was long after I closed the account (and
they're down so much that I wouldn't even consider using them anymore).

I'm assuming the "freenews" in freenews.netfront.net means it is another
free NNTP service but with the caveat that all posts submitted through
it will get spamified with their promotional crap. While adding your
own signature would probably place their spam after the sigdash line,
the spam is still there plus your signature plus their spam crap might
exceed the netiquette of 4-line maximum for signatures.

If the OP is paying for freenews.netfront.net then they're definitely
getting ripped off by using a SPAM-SUPPORTED service.