Re: XP install has screwed up my vista partition

Tom Ferguson

      8th Jan 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"bobbymcsteels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ok I asked posted this problem about a month ago in the XP forum but
> didn't get many answers and was told that It was in the wrong forum so
> here's the 'link '
> (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=874511)to the page.
>

> Basically I had Vista installed on my Sata hdd(500gb), and decided to
> install XP on an Ide hdd (120gb). I had changed the priority of the hdd
> in the bios to the Ide and installed XP. Now xp is running fine but I
> cant see the Sata hdd in my computer, I checked computer management and
> it shows the sata as 104.01gb unallocated, 811.57gb healthy unknown
> partition and 259.39gb healthy unknown partition, a bit confusing
> seeing as its a 500gb hdd. So at first I thought I had wiped the add,
> so I checked it out using Linux to see what had happened, and for some
> reason the file system has been changed from Ntfs to raw.
> I have used a couple of apps to try and see if my files are still
> there, they are but I have no way of backing up 450gb worth of files.
>
> So is there anything I can do to convert the sata back to ntfs from
> raw?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>

> --
> bobbymcsteels
> bobbymcsteels's Profile:
> http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37688
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=887189
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Tom Ferguson

      8th Jan 2008

this problem might be more easily repaired from the Vista DVD.

Check this method to see if it applies to your situation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"bobbymcsteels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Tom Ferguson;3440068 Wrote:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

> Can i do either in xp or using the vista dvd and use the cmd on the
> disc? otherwise I cant do it as I cant get in to my vista partition.
>

> --
> bobbymcsteels
> bobbymcsteels's Profile:
> http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37688
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=887189
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Tom Ferguson

      9th Jan 2008
Honestly, I don't know. I would recover by setting up a new partition,
starting the Vista DVD from the XP installation and setting up a new copy on
the new partition. Then, I would install applications and copy user files
over to the new Vista installation. Next, delete the old Vista partition.
Lastly, enlarge the XP or Vista partitions as desired.