RE: Word Document that shows Excel Chart

Peter Huang [MSFT]

      22nd Aug 2003
Hi

Here is a sample code.
[Here the book2.xls located on c: have a chart on sheet1]

Private Sub Command2_Click()
Dim wd As Word.Application
Dim exapp As Excel.Application
Set wd = New Word.Application
Set exapp = New Excel.Application
exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls"
exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
wd.Visible = True
wd.Documents.Add.Content.PasteSpecial link:=True, DataType:=0
End Sub

Please have a try and let me if this does the job for you.
Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
>From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>

microsoft.public.word.oleinterop,microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsoft
public.word.word97vba,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.exce
l.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
>Subject: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:21:52 GMT

20 Aug 2003 10:21:52 PDT)

microsoft.public.word.word97vba:68352 microsoft.public.excel.charting:32887
microsoft.public.excel.misc:266349
microsoft.public.excel.programming:408492
microsoft.public.word.oleinterop:8588

>I would like to launch an Excel workbook from a Word document. The

workbook
>updates a chart when the workbook is started. The chart must be displayed
>in the Word document.Can anyone point me in the right direction, or show me
>an example piece of code?
>
>Thanks.

hmmm...

      25th Aug 2003
I had a problem with your example. I get a compile error at "Dim exapp As
Excel.Application".

Compile error:
User-defined type not defined

Do you know why?

Also, is your command button in a Word document or and Excel workbook? I
want the end user to open up a Word document. The button should be in the
Word document and should cause the Excel chart to appear in a predetermined
place. It looks like your example creates a new Word document and displays
the chart in that document. I don't think that will work for me.

Thanks.

"Peter Huang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Here is a sample code.
> [Here the book2.xls located on c: have a chart on sheet1]
>
> Private Sub Command2_Click()
> Dim wd As Word.Application
> Dim exapp As Excel.Application
> Set wd = New Word.Application
> Set exapp = New Excel.Application
> exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls"
> exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
> wd.Visible = True
> wd.Documents.Add.Content.PasteSpecial link:=True, DataType:=0
> End Sub
>
> Please have a try and let me if this does the job for you.
> Regards,
> Peter Huang
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
> --------------------
> >From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>

microsoft.public.word.oleinterop,microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsoft

..public.word.word97vba,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.exce
> l.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
> >Subject: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
> >Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:21:52 GMT

> 20 Aug 2003 10:21:52 PDT)

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onlin

e.de!newsfeed.freenet.de!newsfeed.news2me.com!elnk-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthlin

k.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net.POSTED
> !not-for-mail

> microsoft.public.word.word97vba:68352

microsoft.public.excel.charting:32887
> microsoft.public.excel.misc:266349
> microsoft.public.excel.programming:408492
> microsoft.public.word.oleinterop:8588
> >
> >I would like to launch an Excel workbook from a Word document. The

> workbook
> >updates a chart when the workbook is started. The chart must be

displayed
> >in the Word document.Can anyone point me in the right direction, or show

me
> >an example piece of code?
> >
> >Thanks.

Peter Huang [MSFT]

      26th Aug 2003
Hi,

>I had a problem with your example. I get a compile error at "Dim exapp As
>Excel.Application".
>
>Compile error:
>User-defined type not defined
>
>Do you know why?

It seems that you have not make reference to the Microsoft Excel Object
Library. You may do that by following the steps below.
1. Open the word application and Press Alt +F11, this will open Visual
Basic for Editor.
2. Select Tool/reference menu and check the Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object
Library<because mine is office 2002, so the version is 10.0>
3. Copy and paste the code below to the Editor
Sub test()
Dim exapp As Excel.Application
Set exapp = New Excel.Application
exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls" 'you may need to establish a book2.xls
first, which include a chart in sheet1
exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
Application.ActiveDocument.Content.PasteSpecial Link:=True,
DataType:=wdPasteOLEObject
exapp.quit
set exapp = Nothing
End Sub
4. Press F5 to run the macro.

You may have a try and let me know if this does the job for you.

>Also, is your command button in a Word document or and Excel workbook? I
>want the end user to open up a Word document. The button should be in the
>Word document and should cause the Excel chart to appear in a predetermined
>place. It looks like your example creates a new Word document and displays
>the chart in that document. I don't think that will work for me.

I create the sample code in VB6 not in the VBA editor of word, I am sorry
for confusion. You may refer to code above , when you run the macro above
will insert an excel chart object as a OLE object into word.

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
>From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>

microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.oleinterop,microsof
t.public.word.vba.general,microsoft.public.word.word97vba,microsoft.public.e
xcel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.misc

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
>Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:54:12 GMT

25 Aug 2003 09:54:12 PDT)

microsoft.public.word.vba.general:41322
microsoft.public.word.word97vba:68370 microsoft.public.excel.charting:33006
microsoft.public.excel.misc:267255 microsoft.public.excel.programming:409816

>I had a problem with your example. I get a compile error at "Dim exapp As
>Excel.Application".
>
>Compile error:
>User-defined type not defined
>
>Do you know why?
>
>Also, is your command button in a Word document or and Excel workbook? I
>want the end user to open up a Word document. The button should be in the
>Word document and should cause the Excel chart to appear in a predetermined
>place. It looks like your example creates a new Word document and displays
>the chart in that document. I don't think that will work for me.
>
>Thanks.
>
>"Peter Huang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> Here is a sample code.
>> [Here the book2.xls located on c: have a chart on sheet1]
>>
>> Private Sub Command2_Click()
>> Dim wd As Word.Application
>> Dim exapp As Excel.Application
>> Set wd = New Word.Application
>> Set exapp = New Excel.Application
>> exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls"
>> exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
>> wd.Visible = True
>> wd.Documents.Add.Content.PasteSpecial link:=True, DataType:=0
>> End Sub
>>
>> Please have a try and let me if this does the job for you.
>> Regards,
>> Peter Huang
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
>> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no

rights.

>> --------------------
>> >From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>

>microsoft.public.word.oleinterop,microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsof

>.public.word.word97vba,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.exc

>> l.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
>> >Subject: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
>> >Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:21:52 GMT

(Wed,
>> 20 Aug 2003 10:21:52 PDT)
>>

>cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli

>e.de!newsfeed.freenet.de!newsfeed.news2me.com!elnk-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthli

>k.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net.POSTE

>> !not-for-mail

>> microsoft.public.word.word97vba:68352

>microsoft.public.excel.charting:32887
>> microsoft.public.excel.misc:266349
>> microsoft.public.excel.programming:408492
>> microsoft.public.word.oleinterop:8588
>> >
>> >I would like to launch an Excel workbook from a Word document. The

>> workbook
>> >updates a chart when the workbook is started. The chart must be

>displayed
>> >in the Word document.Can anyone point me in the right direction, or show

>me
>> >an example piece of code?
>> >
>> >Thanks.

Peter Huang [MSFT]

      27th Aug 2003
Hi

>1. What must I do to get the Excel application to understand the calls to
>the DDE server when opened from the Word application?

To isolate the problem, I want to collect some information.
1. What error message do you get in your "real" Excel application?
2. You may try to set the exapp.visible to true to see if the problem
persists.
e.g.
Sub test()
Dim exapp As Excel.Application
Set exapp = New Excel.Application
Exapp.visible = true
exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls" 'you may need to establish a book2.xls
exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
Application.ActiveDocument.Content.PasteSpecial Link:=True,
DataType:=wdPasteOLEObject
exapp.ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True
exapp.Quit
Set exapp = Nothing
End Sub
3. You may try to open the excel application and then open the workbook by
automation, and then call the macro that will retrieve data from DDE.
e.g. exapp.Run "a.xls!testmacro" ' the testmacro is one module macro in
the a.xls file.

>2. From the Word application, how do I position the Excel chart at a
>certain place on a certain page?

You may try to set a bookmard first and then used the code below to locate
and paste what you want.
e.g.
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="test" ' the test is a
bookmark you have set before.
Selection.Paste ' you may use paste or pastespecial method

>3. How can the Word application suppress the prompt to "Save Changes" when
>quitting the Excel application. I do not want the changes to be saved when
>Excel quits.You can set this Saved Property of workbook to True if you

want to close a modified workbook without either saving it or being
prompted to save it.
e.g.
Sub test()
Dim exapp As Excel.Application
Set exapp = New Excel.Application
exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls" 'you may need to establish a book2.xls
exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
Application.ActiveDocument.Content.PasteSpecial Link:=True,
DataType:=wdPasteOLEObject
exapp.ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True
exapp.Quit
Set exapp = Nothing
End Sub

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------
>From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>

microsoft.public.word.oleinterop,microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsoft
.public.word.word97vba,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.exce
l.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<Uar2b.2643$(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
>Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:50:17 GMT

26 Aug 2003 19:50:17 PDT)

microsoft.public.word.word97vba:68372 microsoft.public.excel.charting:33055
microsoft.public.excel.misc:267741
microsoft.public.excel.programming:410372
microsoft.public.word.oleinterop:8621

>Hi,
>
>I followed your instructions and was able to open the Excel application

from
>the Word application (I got it to work with Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object
>Library- Office 2000). I did this with a "test" Excel application that

uses
>workbook_open() to modify the chart when the Excel workbook is opened.
>Everything works fine in my test example.
>
>When I changed the macro in the Word document to reference my "real" Excel
>application, I got an error. The "real" Excel application has a 3rd party
>add-in that has an interface to a DDE server (on request, the DDE server
>returns data from an outside source). In workbook_open(), a request is made
>to retrieve data from the DDE server. This call fails. So the Excel
>application works fine stand-alone, but when it is opened from the Word
>document, it doesn't understand the calls to the DDE server.
>
>1. What must I do to get the Excel application to understand the calls to
>the DDE server when opened from the Word application?
>
>2. From the Word application, how do I position the Excel chart at a
>certain place on a certain page?
>
>3. How can the Word application suppress the prompt to "Save Changes" when
>quitting the Excel application. I do not want the changes to be saved when
>Excel quits.
>
>Thanks!
>
>"Peter Huang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that you have not make reference to the Microsoft Excel Object
>> Library. You may do that by following the steps below.
>> 1. Open the word application and Press Alt +F11, this will open Visual
>> Basic for Editor.
>> 2. Select Tool/reference menu and check the Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object
>> Library<because mine is office 2002, so the version is 10.0>
>> 3. Copy and paste the code below to the Editor
>> Sub test()
>> Dim exapp As Excel.Application
>> Set exapp = New Excel.Application
>> exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls" 'you may need to establish a

book2.xls
>> first, which include a chart in sheet1
>> exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
>> Application.ActiveDocument.Content.PasteSpecial Link:=True,
>> DataType:=wdPasteOLEObject
>> exapp.quit
>> set exapp = Nothing
>> End Sub
>> 4. Press F5 to run the macro.
>>
>> You may have a try and let me know if this does the job for you.
>>
>> I create the sample code in VB6 not in the VBA editor of word, I am sorry
>> for confusion. You may refer to code above , when you run the macro above
>> will insert an excel chart object as a OLE object into word.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter Huang
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
>> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no

rights.
>> --------------------

hmmm...

      27th Aug 2003
Hi,

The error:

Run-time error '1004'
Tne macro 'xyzCreate' cannot be found.

occurs when the following is executed in workbook_open() of the Excel
workbook.

Range("A1").Select
ActiveCell.Formula = the_query_string
Selection.Application.Run "xyzCreate"

This works fine when the workbook is opened in Excel. When Word tries to
open it from a macro, the error occurs. I almost seems like the Excel
add-in or some library no longer exists or is invisible when the Excel app
is started from a Word macro.

Thanks.

By the way, your suggestion for positioning the Excel chart within Word
using a bookmark worked. Also, your suggestion for closing the Excel app
from Word without prompting for "Save", by setting the Saved property to
true also worked. Thanks.

"Peter Huang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> >1. What must I do to get the Excel application to understand the calls

> >the DDE server when opened from the Word application?

> To isolate the problem, I want to collect some information.
> 1. What error message do you get in your "real" Excel application?
> 2. You may try to set the exapp.visible to true to see if the problem
> persists.
> e.g.
> Sub test()
> Dim exapp As Excel.Application
> Set exapp = New Excel.Application
> Exapp.visible = true
> exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls" 'you may need to establish a book2.xls
> exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
> Application.ActiveDocument.Content.PasteSpecial Link:=True,
> DataType:=wdPasteOLEObject
> exapp.ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True
> exapp.Quit
> Set exapp = Nothing
> End Sub
> 3. You may try to open the excel application and then open the workbook by
> automation, and then call the macro that will retrieve data from DDE.
> e.g. exapp.Run "a.xls!testmacro" ' the testmacro is one module macro in
> the a.xls file.

Peter Huang [MSFT]

      28th Aug 2003
Hi,

Where was the Macro "xyzCreate" located in? I have made a test that
automation a excel from work, I can not reproduce the problem you
encounter. Here is my test code.
[Word Macro]
Sub test()
Dim exapp As Excel.Application
Set exapp = New Excel.Application
exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book1.xls"
exapp.Visible = True
End Sub

[Excel Macro,book1.xls]
Sub testex()
MsgBox "hello"
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Range("a1").Select
Selection.Application.Run "testex"
End Sub

You may have a try and let me the result.

Also, when you excel application run, the addin or library needed to run
your macro is loaded aumatically, i.e if you start up the excel
application, the addin or library has been loaded?

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
>From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<Uar2b.2643$(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<J%U2b.5211$(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
>Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:13:33 GMT

27 Aug 2003 09:13:33 PDT)

>Hi,
>
>The error:
>
>Run-time error '1004'
>Tne macro 'xyzCreate' cannot be found.
>
>occurs when the following is executed in workbook_open() of the Excel
>workbook.
>
>Range("A1").Select
>ActiveCell.Formula = the_query_string
>Selection.Application.Run "xyzCreate"
>
>This works fine when the workbook is opened in Excel. When Word tries to
>open it from a macro, the error occurs. I almost seems like the Excel
>add-in or some library no longer exists or is invisible when the Excel app
>is started from a Word macro.
>
>Thanks.
>
>By the way, your suggestion for positioning the Excel chart within Word
>using a bookmark worked. Also, your suggestion for closing the Excel app
>from Word without prompting for "Save", by setting the Saved property to
>true also worked. Thanks.
>

>"Peter Huang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> >1. What must I do to get the Excel application to understand the calls

>> >the DDE server when opened from the Word application?

>> To isolate the problem, I want to collect some information.
>> 1. What error message do you get in your "real" Excel application?
>> 2. You may try to set the exapp.visible to true to see if the problem
>> persists.
>> e.g.
>> Sub test()
>> Dim exapp As Excel.Application
>> Set exapp = New Excel.Application
>> Exapp.visible = true
>> exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book2.xls" 'you may need to establish a

book2.xls
>> exapp.Worksheets("Sheet1").ChartObjects(1).Chart.ChartArea.Copy
>> Application.ActiveDocument.Content.PasteSpecial Link:=True,
>> DataType:=wdPasteOLEObject
>> exapp.ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True
>> exapp.Quit
>> Set exapp = Nothing
>> End Sub
>> 3. You may try to open the excel application and then open the workbook

by
>> automation, and then call the macro that will retrieve data from DDE.
>> e.g. exapp.Run "a.xls!testmacro" ' the testmacro is one module macro

in
>> the a.xls file.

hmmm...

      29th Aug 2003
Hi Peter,

xyzCreate is part of xyz Addin. I finally got this to work!

Here's what I had to do in my Word macro to get the add-in loaded in Excel:

With exapp
.Workbooks.Add
.AddIns("xyz").Installed = False
.AddIns.Add "c:\win32app\xyz\api\dde\xyz.xla", False
.AddIns("xyz").Installed = True
.Workbooks.Close
End With

After that, the Excel workbook started up everything perfectly, and my chart
was updated. Then I copied the chart from Excel and pasted into Word.

Thanks for all your advice!

"Peter Huang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Where was the Macro "xyzCreate" located in? I have made a test that
> automation a excel from work, I can not reproduce the problem you
> encounter. Here is my test code.
> [Word Macro]
> Sub test()
> Dim exapp As Excel.Application
> Set exapp = New Excel.Application
> exapp.Workbooks.Open "c:\book1.xls"
> exapp.Visible = True
> End Sub
>
> [Excel Macro,book1.xls]
> Sub testex()
> MsgBox "hello"
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> Range("a1").Select
> Selection.Application.Run "testex"
> End Sub
>
> You may have a try and let me the result.
>
> Also, when you excel application run, the addin or library needed to run
> your macro is loaded aumatically, i.e if you start up the excel
> application, the addin or library has been loaded?
>

> Regards,
> Peter Huang
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> --------------------

Peter Huang [MSFT]

      29th Aug 2003
Hi,

I am glad I can help you.

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
>From: "hmmm..." <(E-Mail Removed)>

microsoft.public.word.oleinterop,microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsoft
.public.word.word97vba,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.exce
l.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<Uar2b.2643$(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<J%U2b.5211$(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<NM43b.6318$(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Word Document that shows Excel Chart
>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:05:08 GMT

28 Aug 2003 16:05:08 PDT)

microsoft.public.word.word97vba:68376 microsoft.public.excel.charting:33099
microsoft.public.excel.misc:268366
microsoft.public.excel.programming:411064
microsoft.public.word.oleinterop:8629