Re: Wipe Home Premium 64 bit - reinstall XP

DL

      4th Jun 2009
I'd try some other bootable cd on this sys

"slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I did try that on a couple different PC's and it boots up like it's
> suppose to. Now those PC's have XP on them already. But that told me
> that the CD is working ok.
>

> Tae Song;1057692 Wrote:
>> "slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...> > >

>> > bit.
>> > the
>> > figured

>> > it

>> Have you tried to boot the XP CD on another computer?

> --
> slowpokey

DL

      4th Jun 2009
PS; If you do get the winxp cd to boot then likely as not you have a sata
drive, in which case you will either need to install sata controler drivers
from floppy during the installation (F6 option) or ammend bios settings for
the corect sata controller

"slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I did try that on a couple different PC's and it boots up like it's
> suppose to. Now those PC's have XP on them already. But that told me
> that the CD is working ok.
>

> Tae Song;1057692 Wrote:
>> "slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...> > >

>> > bit.
>> > the
>> > figured

>> > it

>> Have you tried to boot the XP CD on another computer?

> --
> slowpokey

Dominic Payer

      4th Jun 2009
Does the CD/DVD drive work at all with any disk in Vista?

Have you checked the Toshiba site for drive firmware updates?

On 04/06/2009 13:53, slowpokey wrote:
> I have done one other one and it didn't want to boot either. SO I'm not
> sure what to think. I want to check into the winxp drivers and see
> where that takes me.

Tae Song

      4th Jun 2009

"slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My co-worker bought a new toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
> It is not compatible with our remote access system which is why she
> bought the pc to begin with. I tried to start the installation with the
> XP installation CD but it won't allow me to start the process. I figured
> out how to wipe the HD but when it still won't boot from the XP CD. I
> used the recovery disk to reinstall Vista HP 64 bit.
>
> What am I missing here? It just will not boot from the XP CD. I went
> out and changed the bios boot feature to boot from the CD drive and it
> still doesn't work.
>
> Help!!!!!
>

> --
> slowpokey

Have you tried to boot the XP CD on another computer?

DL

      4th Jun 2009
Thats an inaccessible boot device (HD) did you during the process delete the
partitions? then create a new one

Have you asertained whether its a sata drive and as such whether you need to
modify the bios regarding sata driver controler settings (intel Sata AHCI
controler) if available

And when you say "to start downloading" do you mean it started writting
files to disk

"slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I did download some winXP drivers from the toshiba site. I got the XP
> cd to start downloading then midway through I got a blue screen with the
> information:
>
> A problem has been detected and windows ahs been shut down to prevent
> damage to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
> your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
>
> CHeck for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
> drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it
> is properly configured and terminiated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for
> harad drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
>
> Technical information:
>
> ***STOP: OxOOOOOO7B (Oxf78DA63C, OxCOOOOO34, OxOOOOOOOO,OxOOOOOOOO
>

> DL;1058031 Wrote:
>> PS; If you do get the winxp cd to boot then likely as not you have a
>> sata
>> drive, in which case you will either need to install sata controler
>> drivers
>> from floppy during the installation (F6 option) or ammend bios settings
>> for
>> the corect sata controller
>>
>> "slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...> > >

> --
> slowpokey

DL

      4th Jun 2009

"slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It is a sata drive - the controller settings were on AHCI - I just
> changed them to compatibility - saved it and then it comes up
> with......."press any key to boot from CD --
>
> Ah HA!!! now I get selections but none of them are to start XP from the
> CD. I'm not real familiar working with partitions. What do I need to do
> here?
>
> Restarted PC and now I get a blue screen that says WIndows setup and
> it's loading files and it's listing the different files it's loading -
> I'm assuming that is' loading from the disk as it booted from the CD and
> I hear it running as the setup is loading files.
>
> Now I get to the point that it's loading XP. I'm reformatting the
> partition that is there. SInce I'm not real comfortable with partitions
> not sure if that's the right selection but for better or worse that is
> what I chose. SHould I have set up a new partition?
>
> As I reread your last message you said to set up a new partition. If
> this install fails, I'll set up a new partition.
>
> So we'll see where it goes from here. Thanks for the assistance.
>

> DL;1058275 Wrote:
>> Thats an inaccessible boot device (HD) did you during the process delete
>> the
>> partitions? then create a new one
>>
>> Have you asertained whether its a sata drive and as such whether you
>> need to
>> modify the bios regarding sata driver controler settings (intel Sata
>> AHCI
>> controler) if available
>>
>> And when you say "to start downloading" do you mean it started writting
>> files to disk
>>
>> "slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...> > >

>> > the

>> > it

> --
> slowpokey

Tae Song

      5th Jun 2009

"slowpokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I did try that on a couple different PC's and it boots up like it's
> suppose to. Now those PC's have XP on them already. But that told me
> that the CD is working ok.

Is the computer trying to boot from CD-ROM at all?

Do you get the message, "press any key to boot from cd..." or does it just
skip over the CD-ROM and go directly to booting from the hard drive no
matter what you set it to boot in the BIOS.

Have tried any other bootable CDs? Memtest86 is a small ISO image you can
burn to a CD to test this.

Some BIOS allow you to press a function key to bring up a boot selection
screen.