Re: Windows XP Professional installer not recognising or partitioninghard drive correctly. Possible to install Windows XP via another operatingsystem or fix partitioning errors?

smlunatick

      4th Nov 2008
On Nov 2, 4:47*pm, JD Francis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I bought a computer second-hand about a year ago. *Windows XP
> Professional was already installed on it, and I installed a Linux
> distribution in a separate partition. *The hard drive that came with
> it was in a bad state, but I failed to act on the many signs my
> computer was giving out before it was too late. *I have since bought a
> new hard drive and put it in the computer, but that has left me
> without Windows XP.
>
> I have been able to reinstall the Linux distribution with no problems,
> but when I try to reinstall Windows XP I get an error at the disk
> partition stage. *The error reads, "Setup was unable to format the
> partition. The disk may be damaged." *I know there are no problems
> with the disk because I have run the manufacturer's disk utility to
> check it for errors, and I have formatted the disk with it as well. *I
> have also noticed that when I use a Windows XP Home CD, I can complete
> the installation with no problems. *Trying to upgrade the Home
> installation with the Professional CD works until reboot, where I get
> the error Stop 0x00000024.
>
> Unless there is a way of solving this issue of the installer not being
> able to format the partitions correctly, is there a way around this
> stage of setup such as copying certain files into the reserved
> partition and then booting from it?

Windows XP is very picky when installing onto a hard drive that has a
different partition. If you were to check with you Linux distro.
newsgroup forms, you might find the correct order to install the
Windows / Linux partition.

At very least, Windows usually needs to be installed before any
Linux. Linux installs its own "boot" loader manager (GRUB or LILO)
and will find Windows' own loader. Installing Windows after Linux,
Windows will replace the Linux GRUB / LILO loader with Windows' own.