Re: Windows Fax and Scan and Outlook contacts

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      7th Mar 2009
At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can't get Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) to use the contacts from
> Outlook 2007. Running Vista Ultimate 64 on an SBS 2003 network. Using
> the server's shared fax. This worked when I had Vista Ultimate 32
> installed.
>
> Unsuccesful steps I have tried.
>
> I have run a repair install of Office. I have deleted my old profile
> and created a new one. Please note that since I am running on SBS 2003
> premium I use Exchange 2003 so I don't lose my contacts, e-mails, etc.
> when I delete the profile. I have rebooted. I have deleted the fax
> account and added it back.
>
> When I click on the address book icon my contacts appear and those
> with fax numbers are listed.
>
> What I get for contacts are the one created by Windows Mail for me. I
> have never used Windows Mail on this PC.
>
> TIA for your assistance.
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      8th Mar 2009
Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
Spell out the details here, please.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:14:54 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>At the OS level: Make sure you set Outlook for all its capabilities and
>>Windows Mail for none of its. Reboot.

> Thank you for the assistance. Outlook has all its defaults. Windows
> Mail only has .eml. Unfortunately it is grayed out and I am unable to
> change it.
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      8th Mar 2009
Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone to
repro.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:06:37 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Why can't you change it? You must. Otherwise, you may have identified your
>>problem. You are not running with sufficient privileges.
>>Spell out the details here, please.

> I am running as an Administrator. There does not appear to be a way to
> select "run as adminstrator" when changing default programs. When I
> click on the .eml protocol nothing happens. The same thing happens
> when I try to uncheck the box with the space bar.
>
> If it is any help, Windows Contacts has 4 of 5 defaults. I cannot
> uncheck them - .contact, .group, .p7c, and LDAP.
>
> I have taken my laptop home and am unable to send a fax via the server
> at this time.
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      23rd Mar 2009
I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for all
of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:47:19 -0400, Drew Edmundson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 07:15:24 -0400, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Start at the beginning then. Why can't you connect to your fax server?
>>>You seem to have a host of problems here and provide no steps for anyone
>>>repro.

> I will try to do as you suggest. I installed Windows Vista 64 bit to
> the laptop. Connected to our SBS 2003 server and downloaded all the
> Windows updates. Installed MS Office 2007. Added my Exchange account
> to Outlook 2007. Now when I try to select contacts from within WFS I
> get the Windows Mail contacts not the Outlook contacts.
>
> As a side note, it is impossible to click on the Windows icon in the
> task bar and then right click on "Default Programs" and select run as
> Administrator. My problem with setting the defaults was I did not
> understand that some have to be set via "set program access and
> computer defaults" instead of via "set your default programs."
>
> Are you running Vista 64 bit? Is anyone running Vista 64 bit and
> getting Outlook contacts in WFS?
>
> TIA,
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      24th Mar 2009
Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be looking
at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports component.
Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
can handle.
I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
correctly in this profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:38:53 -0400, "Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm not running 64 bit, but I've seen no reports of its not being able to
>>run WFS and connect to Outlook. You appear to have a problem at the OS
>>level. Windows Mail must be set for none of its defaults and Outlook for
>>all
>>of its. Normally , simply installing Outlook will accomplish that.

> Windows Mail now has only SNEWS protocol of its defaults and
> Outlook has all its defaults. Still no joy. SNEWS protocol
> cannot be changed. Before you say this is the problem,
> please see if you can change the SNEWS protocol.
>
> From my Google searches all the posts that have specified 32
> bit vs. 64 bit that have this problem have all said they
> were using Vista 64 bit. On the other hand, how often does
> one see someone specify Vista 32 bit? Not often, so my
> anecdotal evidence may be wrong.
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      26th Mar 2009
Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a PAB,
are you?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:19:00 -0400, "Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Don't forget that in Vista all of the messaging components that were in
>>Outlook Express are now separate in Windows Mail. So you need to be
>>looking
>>at the Contacts component ("Windows Contacts") not the transports
>>component.
>>Make sure Windows Contacts is not set for any of the defaults that Outlook
>>can handle.

> Other than the one protocol, I changed all to Outlook.
> Rebooted and the problem still exists. I can't change the
> one protocol.
>
>>I have no doubt that this may very well be a 64 bit problem. It's just not
>>one I've seen documented or reproduced. Usually this problem arises if the
>>Outlook profile is corrupt or not properly configured for its address book
>>service. Configuring an Outlook profile most definitely requires a 32 bit
>>app. Enable 32 bit apps and configure a new Outlook profile from scratch.
>>Make sure the Outlook Address Book Service is installed and working
>>correctly in this profile.

> Outlook is able to fully access the address books I have. We
> have one address book shared via a public folder on the SBS
> 2003 server and I have a personal address book. I can access
> both completely from within Outlook.
>
> I had already tried that but I tried it again. No luck.
>
> Thanks for your help. I guess there is nothing else to try.
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      26th Mar 2009
Well I'll keep looking for exact steps to reproduce the issue and if I can
find them I'll forward them to the developers. Were you ever able to get WFS
to use your Outlook Contacts on 64 bit Vista?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Drew Edmundson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:37:13 -0400, "Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Outlook hasn't used a PAB for over a decade. You aren't really using a
>>PAB,
>>are you?

> No, I apologize. I meant I have two separate contact lists -
> 1 is in the shared public folder and the other is a contact
> list of friends and family. Outlook still calls them
> "address books" when I hover over the "book icon" and in the
> "search address books" input box so that is what I called
> them.
>
> Drew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      27th Mar 2009
That's not a solution at all. That's the very first thing we did, and always
is. It hasn't worked for Drew.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"SjanUK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am using Vista Ultimate (x64) and using MS Outlook 2003, I was getting
> the problem when right clicking a fax in Windows Fax and Scan (WFS).
>
> I got the solution here
> http://vista.maranciuc.com/index.php...12.msg18#msg18 now a new
> e-mail opens with the Fax attached and ready for me to add contacts from
> MS Outlook 2003.
>

> --
> SjanUK
> SjanUK's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85654.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-print-fax/1136728.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

DL

      4th Mar 2010
Somewhat odd since Outlook contacts are in the same file in either version
of win.

"killerb255" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thread necromancy, but still useful...
>
> I can confirm that the problem only occurs with Vista x64 and Windows 7
> x64 (haven't tried XP x64 or Server 2003 x64 to see if their fax clients
> are affected yet).
>
> A side-by-side comparison between a Windows 7 x86 virtual machine and
> an x64 VM told me this much. Control Panel -> Default Programs under
> Microsoft Outlook and Windows Contacts were identical.
>
> Regardless, Win7 x86 has no problems using Outlook Address Book
> Contacts for WF&S, but x64 does.
>
> This also happens when using the Outlook 2010 x64 beta with Win7
> x64--WF&S still can't pull Outlook Contacts.
>

> --
> killerb255

Russ Valentine

      4th Mar 2010
Are you certain the Outlook Address Book Service was configured correctly on
the x64 machines? Since that requires the 32 bit Mail applet, it may not
have been.
You didn't quote the beginning of the thread so your post is a bit hard to
follow.
--
Russ Valentine