Re: Why Does Windows Explorer Need To Access The Internet?

smlunatick

      3rd Jan 2007
Windows Explorer, and XP, is using Internet Explorer as base for the
program. Internet Explorer with the latest Window Genuine Adavatage
check has to "phone home" now and this in order to check for:

-- Valid license
-- Automatic Windows updates
-- Revised Defender updates

Mark M Morse wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home Edition with all updates installed. I also use the
> latest version of Windows Defender.
>
> About 15% of the time that I'm using Windows Explorer, a system tray balloon
> from Windows Defender pops up telling me that Windows Explorer is trying to
> access the Internet.
>
> Unless Windows Explorer is doing something other than displaying, opening,
> or moving documents on my hard drive (because that's what I do with Windows
> Explorer), I do not understand why it needs to connect to the Internet.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBNIE1vcnNl?=

      23rd Jan 2007
Hi smlunatick:

Thank you for your response.

I understand that Internet Explorer and Windows XP need to access the
Internet for many reasons -- including those which you provided.

I do not understand why Windows Explorer would need to verify a license,
check for updates at Microsoft Update, or check for Defender updates.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Defender checks for its own updates and
the operating system checks for updates based on the registry information
added when signing up for automatic updates. Checking for a valid license
makes sense if one is trying to download an updated version of software or
download new software offered by Microsoft.

Why would Windows Explorer need to get involved in checking for updates to
Defender (or any other updates)?

If my system is not connected to the Internet, and I use Windows Explorer
for file management, what is it specifically that Windows Explorer is unable
to do? And if the answer to this question is: "Nothing at all", then why is
Windows Explorer trying to access the Internet?

~ Mark

"smlunatick" wrote:

> Windows Explorer, and XP, is using Internet Explorer as base for the
> program. Internet Explorer with the latest Window Genuine Adavatage
> check has to "phone home" now and this in order to check for:
>
> -- Valid license
> -- Automatic Windows updates
> -- Revised Defender updates
>

> Mark M Morse wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Home Edition with all updates installed. I also use the
> > latest version of Windows Defender.
> >
> > About 15% of the time that I'm using Windows Explorer, a system tray balloon
> > from Windows Defender pops up telling me that Windows Explorer is trying to
> > access the Internet.
> >
> > Unless Windows Explorer is doing something other than displaying, opening,
> > or moving documents on my hard drive (because that's what I do with Windows
> > Explorer), I do not understand why it needs to connect to the Internet.

norm

      23rd Jan 2007
Mark M Morse wrote:
> Hi smlunatick:
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I understand that Internet Explorer and Windows XP need to access the
> Internet for many reasons -- including those which you provided.
>
> I do not understand why Windows Explorer would need to verify a license,
> check for updates at Microsoft Update, or check for Defender updates.
>
> I may be wrong, but I believe that Defender checks for its own updates and
> the operating system checks for updates based on the registry information
> added when signing up for automatic updates. Checking for a valid license
> makes sense if one is trying to download an updated version of software or
> download new software offered by Microsoft.
>
> Why would Windows Explorer need to get involved in checking for updates to
> Defender (or any other updates)?
>
> If my system is not connected to the Internet, and I use Windows Explorer
> for file management, what is it specifically that Windows Explorer is unable
> to do? And if the answer to this question is: "Nothing at all", then why is
> Windows Explorer trying to access the Internet?
>
> ~ Mark
>

> "smlunatick" wrote:
>
>> Windows Explorer, and XP, is using Internet Explorer as base for the
>> program. Internet Explorer with the latest Window Genuine Adavatage
>> check has to "phone home" now and this in order to check for:
>>
>> -- Valid license
>> -- Automatic Windows updates
>> -- Revised Defender updates
>>

>> Mark M Morse wrote:
>>> I have Windows XP Home Edition with all updates installed. I also use the
>>> latest version of Windows Defender.
>>>
>>> About 15% of the time that I'm using Windows Explorer, a system tray balloon
>>> from Windows Defender pops up telling me that Windows Explorer is trying to
>>> access the Internet.
>>>
>>> Unless Windows Explorer is doing something other than displaying, opening,
>>> or moving documents on my hard drive (because that's what I do with Windows
>>> Explorer), I do not understand why it needs to connect to the Internet.

By default, windows explorer runs in the same process as internet
explorer, and therefore will behave like internet explorer. AFAIK,
nothing is lost by not allowing it to connect. I have denied such
connections for years with zone alarm. Someone else may happen along
with more info.

--
norm

John John