Re: Vista Registry Cleaner - As Every PC Deserves the Best!

Leonard Grey

      26th Sep 2008
Look out. DSH /loves/ this. He made it into my Killfile Hall of Fame on
the first ballot.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> D. Spencer Hines wrote:
>> Nonsense...
>>
>> CCleaner is an:
>>
>> Excellent...
>>
>> Safe...
>>
>> Registry Cleaner.
>>

> There is *NO* such thing.
>

>> I've been using it for several years now with good results.

> Documentation? Benchmarks from before and after? Oh, and make sure
> they either been notarized or verified by an independent laboratory. In
> other words, only when someone finally produces verifiable scientific
> evidence will I give such claims a lick of credence.

db.·.. >

      26th Sep 2008
tisk tisk tisk,
your wrong again.

you know good and
well that anyone with
due deligence can
compare the before
and after of registry
cleaning....

besides, you have
admitted on several
occassions that you
use cc cleaner.

don't you remember
i called you on it?

perhaps, you should
add into your quote
line: "do as i say and
not as i do"

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> D. Spencer Hines wrote:
>> Nonsense...
>>
>> CCleaner is an:
>>
>> Excellent...
>>
>> Safe...
>>
>> Registry Cleaner.
>>

> There is *NO* such thing.
>

>> I've been using it for several years now with good results.

> Documentation? Benchmarks from before and after? Oh, and make sure they either been notarized or verified by an independent
> laboratory. In other words, only when someone finally produces verifiable scientific evidence will I give such claims a lick of
> credence.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>
> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell
>
> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

N. Miller

      27th Sep 2008
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:03:11 +0100, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

> Nonsense...
>
> CCleaner is an:
>
> Excellent...
>
> Safe...
>
> Registry Cleaner.
>
> I've been using it for several years now with good results.

There is no such thing as a "safe" registry cleaner; except for the one not
used. "Clean" the wrong key from your registry, and your system is hosed.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

D. Spencer Hines

      27th Sep 2008
Twaddle.

I approve every single registry change that is made.

If I don't approve it, no change is made.

Perfectly safe.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"N. Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:03:11 +0100, D. Spencer Hines wrote:
>
>> Nonsense...
>>
>> CCleaner is an:
>>
>> Excellent...
>>
>> Safe...
>>
>> Registry Cleaner.
>>
>> I've been using it for several years now with good results.

> There is no such thing as a "safe" registry cleaner; except for the
> one not
> used. "Clean" the wrong key from your registry, and your system is
> hosed.

Bruce Chambers

      27th Sep 2008
D. Spencer Hines wrote:
> Twaddle.
>
> I approve every single registry change that is made.
>
> If I don't approve it, no change is made.
>
> Perfectly safe.

If the registry cleaner is so "perfectly safe," why do you feel the
need to approve each and every change? You do realize, don't you, that
you've just added weight to the position you're trying to argue against?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

D. Spencer Hines

      27th Sep 2008
Balderdash...

Good software has checks and balances built in -- with full input by
the user.

CCleaner does an excellent job of cleaning the registry -- and
incorporating user input -- just as a good physician or attorney does.

Chambers seems to be the resident Village Idiot here.

Does he always provide Great Entertainment like this?

It's like having a pet kigme -- always ready to take a sharp, swift
kick to the derriere.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> D. Spencer Hines wrote:

>> Twaddle.
>>
>> I approve every single registry change that is made.
>>
>> If I don't approve it, no change is made.
>>
>> Perfectly safe.

> If the registry cleaner is so "perfectly safe," why do you feel the
> need to approve each and every change? You do realize, don't you,
> that you've just added weight to the position you're trying to argue
> against?

Ildhund

      27th Sep 2008
"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> D. Spencer Hines wrote:

Bruce, DNFTEC; you'll only get bitten. See
http://lcngarc.twoshakesofalambstail...998120729.html
--
Noel

Bruce Chambers

      27th Sep 2008
Ildhund wrote:
> "Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> D. Spencer Hines wrote:

> Bruce, DNFTEC; you'll only get bitten. See
> http://lcngarc.twoshakesofalambstail...998120729.html

I see your point, but my primary concern is to ensure that there's a
rebuttal to the deliberately harmful advice these people post, so that
newbies are at least warned of the dangers. If doing so also boosts the
sad little trolls' egos, I think it's a price I'll just have to accept.
Anyway, they generally make themselves look increasingly desperate and
pathetic with each new post.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Edward W. Thompson

      28th Sep 2008

"D. Spencer Hines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Balderdash...
>
> Good software has checks and balances built in -- with full input by the
> user.
>
> CCleaner does an excellent job of cleaning the registry -- and
> incorporating user input -- just as a good physician or attorney does.
>
>snip

What on earth have physicians and attorneys got to do with CCleaner. You are
a really strange person!

I use to be an advocate of Registry Cleaners. I use to try them all and was
quite convinced they were an essential for efficient computer management.
Perhaps in the days pre WINXP they were useful. I read all the cautionary
advice given in the NGs and like you dismissed them. Everytime I
experienced a glitch, time to run a 'cleaner' and I use to have 'glitches'
at regular intervals. I then decided perhaps I should stop running these
Cleaners and see what happens. Now I no longer have these 'glitches' or any
need to restore the Registry (ERUNT) from time to time. My experience has
been sufficient for me to relate machine problems (glitches) with Registry
Cleaners. Before you comment, I do run programs like CCleaner, not the
Registry Cleaner component, and Disk Cleaner regularly to clear out the
'trash' . Actually I think Disk Cleaner is the better of the programs.

What I do question is that Registry Cleaners will or may corrupt the
Registry to the extent of preventing boot up. This statement I simply find
absurd. For a Registry Cleaner to do this it would need to remove/corrupt
Registry entries that are essential to the OS. Even with the most
rudimentary Quality Control the software designer would identify and correct
that before the program was issued. Registry Cleaners certainly do remove
entries that are required by some programs to operate (empty keys no doubt)
and this is where they fall down. I suppose the essential question is, in
what way does the removal of empty and redundant data in the Registry
improve machine performance and/or in what way do empty and redundant keys
impair machine performance. If the machine must read every Registry entry
to permit it to execute a command then the answer is self evident but that
is not the case.

Registry Cleaners are a con. There only value is to give the users of such
programs a 'feel good' feeling. These programs remove entries in the
Registry of entries that do not require removal and by doing so sometimes
'throws the baby out with the bath water'.

D. Spencer Hines

      28th Sep 2008
Never happened to me...

Fact:

My system runs smoother and swifter since I started using the CCleaner
registry cleaner.

I'm not vouching for regcleaners in GENERAL.

So your post was one long non sequitur.

'Nuff Said.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<baldersnip>