Re: Vista 64 Bit - Cannot Boot With 3 Hard Disks

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      4th Aug 2009
I'd go along with the others and say a PSU issue. i have four SATA hard
drives in my PC, along with a BluRay optical drive and a couple of USB SATA
drives, used for weekly backup, and it never fails to boot. On top of that
I have a Canon scanner that is entirely powered from the USB port, two
printers, wireless mouse/keyboard, Hauppauge HDPVR, etc etc. Oh and a smart
card reader. 850w PSU, 8gb RAM, Q9550. On my test PC I have six hard
drives, again all SATA and a couple of optical drives. That one has 12gb
and an i7 920 CPU, Corsair 850w PSU. Again, never fails to boot.

What is the wattage and make of your PSU. You want a decent manufacturer
and a decent wattage. Skimping on either will only lead to tears before
bedtime.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"SomeoneX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello,
>
> I have just installed Vista Ultimate 64 Bit (on my 500 GB Seagate hard
> disk, the main hard disk).
>
> Then, I added 2 more hard disks (a 1 TB Hitachi and another 500 GB
> Seagate), so now I have 3 SATA hard disks installed.
>
> However, Vista cannot start. Sometimes, it stuck on the boot screen
> (the one with the scrolling green bar), sometimes it just show black
> blank screen.
>
> I then tried to disconnect, completely, the 2 hard disks I just
> installed. Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
> disks without problem.
>
> When only the 1 TB Hitachi and the main hard disk are connected, Vista
> can boot properly and I can access my data from both hard disks without
> problem.
>
> When only the other 500 GB Seagate and the main hard disk are
> connected, Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
> disks without problem.
>
> However, if I connect the 3 hard disks at the same time, vista doesn't
> want to boot. I already installed the SATA controller driver from the CD
> that comes with the motherboard.
>
> Also, Safe Mode doesn't help.
>
> My system spec:
> - Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
> - Processor: Intel Core2Duo Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
> - RAM: 4 GB (4x1 GB) DDR2
> - Graphic Card: Nvidia 8800GTS, from ASUS
> - 2 DVD Writers (LG and Sony), both IDE
> - 1 Floppy Disk Drive
>
> Please help me. I really need to connect them all because they all
> contain data.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> SomeoneX

Natéag

      5th Aug 2009

I wish to add that I just bought a Corsair PSU (650 Watts)- just to check
if the problem
was with the power supply, the motherboard, and something else.
The flat cables to connect to the HDs, Cds
made it very easy to achieve a clean installation. Five HDs,
2 cd/DVDs. One graphics card.

I kept the PSU and changed the motherboard. Returned to the manufacturer
as it had been bought only a few months earlier.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd go along with the others and say a PSU issue. i have four SATA hard
> drives in my PC, along with a BluRay optical drive and a couple of USB
> SATA drives, used for weekly backup, and it never fails to boot. On top
> of that I have a Canon scanner that is entirely powered from the USB port,
> two printers, wireless mouse/keyboard, Hauppauge HDPVR, etc etc. Oh and a
> smart card reader. 850w PSU, 8gb RAM, Q9550. On my test PC I have six
> hard drives, again all SATA and a couple of optical drives. That one has
> 12gb and an i7 920 CPU, Corsair 850w PSU. Again, never fails to boot.
>
> What is the wattage and make of your PSU. You want a decent manufacturer
> and a decent wattage. Skimping on either will only lead to tears before
> bedtime.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>

> "SomeoneX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just installed Vista Ultimate 64 Bit (on my 500 GB Seagate hard
>> disk, the main hard disk).
>>
>> Then, I added 2 more hard disks (a 1 TB Hitachi and another 500 GB
>> Seagate), so now I have 3 SATA hard disks installed.
>>
>> However, Vista cannot start. Sometimes, it stuck on the boot screen
>> (the one with the scrolling green bar), sometimes it just show black
>> blank screen.
>>
>> I then tried to disconnect, completely, the 2 hard disks I just
>> installed. Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
>> disks without problem.
>>
>> When only the 1 TB Hitachi and the main hard disk are connected, Vista
>> can boot properly and I can access my data from both hard disks without
>> problem.
>>
>> When only the other 500 GB Seagate and the main hard disk are
>> connected, Vista can boot properly, I can access my data from both hard
>> disks without problem.
>>
>> However, if I connect the 3 hard disks at the same time, vista doesn't
>> want to boot. I already installed the SATA controller driver from the CD
>> that comes with the motherboard.
>>
>> Also, Safe Mode doesn't help.
>>
>> My system spec:
>> - Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
>> - Processor: Intel Core2Duo Dual Core 2.4 Ghz
>> - RAM: 4 GB (4x1 GB) DDR2
>> - Graphic Card: Nvidia 8800GTS, from ASUS
>> - 2 DVD Writers (LG and Sony), both IDE
>> - 1 Floppy Disk Drive
>>
>> Please help me. I really need to connect them all because they all
>> contain data.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> SomeoneX

vanilla

      5th Aug 2009
oh, my ... the fever to build a new rig has begun because of Win 7 coming
out soon and as I read your tricked out setups, I felt pangs of jealousy ..
(g) .. you gotta be havin' fun ... vanilla

news:(E-Mail Removed)...