Re: Virtual Memory

lachevnyko@gmail.com

      29th Jun 2012
01 март 2003, събота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani написа:
> I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
> Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
> running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram.
> --
> Many Thanks
>
> Gunjani
> Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical
> situations?

01 март 2003, събота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani написа:
> I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
> Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
> running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram.
> --
> Many Thanks
>
> Gunjani
> Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical
> situations?

Stefan Patric

      29th Jun 2012
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:17:39 -0700, lachevnyko wrote:

> 01 март 2003, събота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani написа:
>> I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
>> Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
>> running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram. --
>> Many Thanks

Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is add
more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.

Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
running than you realize.

Stef

glee

      30th Jun 2012
"Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jsklvm$1gm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:17:39 -0700, lachevnyko wrote:
>
>> 01 март 2003, събота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani написа:
>>> I tregularly receive the following message 'Windows - Low on Virtual
>>> Memory..... increase page file...' yet I dont't have many programs
>>> running. Any suggestions. My pc has 512Mb Ram. --
>>> Many Thanks

> Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is add
> more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.
>
> Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
> running than you realize.

It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this happen.
One application that uses progressively more of the page file will cause
Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the page
file, till it has to be resized by Windows.
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Stefan Patric

      30th Jun 2012
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:48:31 -0400, glee wrote:

> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jsklvm$1gm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:17:39 -0700, lachevnyko wrote:
>>
>>> 01 март 2003, събота, 18:57:02 UTC+2, Gunjani написа:

>> Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is add
>> more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.
>>
>> Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
>> running than you realize.

> It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this happen.
> One application that uses progressively more of the page file will cause
> Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
> example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
> with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the page
> file, till it has to be resized by Windows.

I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually increased
virtual memory from the system set default size.

Also, I just noticed the date of the original query I replied to: 2003.
Either the OP's clock is badly off, or the message is 9 years old. I'm
sure the OP has solved the problem by now, if the latter. ;-)

Stef

glee

      1st Jul 2012
"Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jsn8ma$lj1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:48:31 -0400, glee wrote:
>
>> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jsklvm$1gm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Increase the amount of virtual memory, or what would be better is
>>> add
>>> more real RAM, 512MB more, at least, 1GB would be better.
>>>
>>> Also, if you're running out of virtual memory, you have more things
>>> running than you realize.

>> It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this
>> happen.
>> One application that uses progressively more of the page file will
>> cause
>> Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
>> example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
>> with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the
>> page
>> file, till it has to be resized by Windows.

> I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
> marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually
> increased
> virtual memory from the system set default size.
>
> Also, I just noticed the date of the original query I replied to:
> 2003.
> Either the OP's clock is badly off, or the message is 9 years old.
> I'm
> sure the OP has solved the problem by now, if the latter. ;-)

I'm talking about systems with sufficient RAM, almost no background
programs, and the virtual memory set to a large starting size and a max
of nearly the entire partition size. For example, an XP 32-bit system
by itself with 1 GB of memory is sufficient. I think you have just not
run across the programs that sometimes do this. It has been reported
over the years in both Opera and Firefox forums.

I saw the 2003 date on the OP which is why I just replied to you, and
not the original. :-)

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Stefan Patric

      1st Jul 2012
On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:19:32 -0400, glee wrote:

> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jsn8ma$lj1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:48:31 -0400, glee wrote:
>>
>>> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:jsklvm$1gm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It's not even necessary to have many things running to see this
>>> happen.
>>> One application that uses progressively more of the page file will
>>> cause
>>> Windows to have to enlarge it, bringing up the message. Just one
>>> example is Opera browser, which, if kept open for a long period, even
>>> with few or no tabs open, will continue to use more and more of the
>>> page
>>> file, till it has to be resized by Windows.

>> I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
>> marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually
>> increased
>> virtual memory from the system set default size.

> I'm talking about systems with sufficient RAM, almost no background
> programs, and the virtual memory set to a large starting size and a max
> of nearly the entire partition size. For example, an XP 32-bit system
> by itself with 1 GB of memory is sufficient. I think you have just not
> run across the programs that sometimes do this. It has been reported
> over the years in both Opera and Firefox forums.

Well, I use Photoshop professionally on a 32-bit XP system with 1.5GB
RAM. Yes, it goes into VM, of which there's 3GB, all the time, but I've
never max'd it out. And I routinely batch process dozens to hundreds of
RAW and/or JPEG images. However, I've configured it to be more RAM
efficient as I do with all my apps.

I used Firefox for years on Windows (and Linux)--now use Chrome--and, as
I've said, never experienced this problem. Perhaps, it's just the way I
set up my systems--lean and minimal--manage my applications, and use the
system compared to others.

I can only think that this VM problem, since you say it's been on-going
for years with Opera and Firefox, is due to RAM caching. I turn that
off, if I can. In fact, if I can, I turn off ALL browser caching. With
today's high speed Internet service, such caching (RAM or disk) is of
little value. When all there was was dial-up, things were different.

Stef

glee

      7th Jul 2012
"Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jsqi53$vsk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:19:32 -0400, glee wrote:
>
>> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:jsn8ma$lj1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I've never experienced this. Although, when I had systems with
>>> marginally sufficient (or insufficient) RAM, I always manually
>>> increased
>>> virtual memory from the system set default size.

>> I'm talking about systems with sufficient RAM, almost no background
>> programs, and the virtual memory set to a large starting size and a
>> max
>> of nearly the entire partition size. For example, an XP 32-bit
>> system
>> by itself with 1 GB of memory is sufficient. I think you have just
>> not
>> run across the programs that sometimes do this. It has been reported
>> over the years in both Opera and Firefox forums.

> Well, I use Photoshop professionally on a 32-bit XP system with 1.5GB
> RAM. Yes, it goes into VM, of which there's 3GB, all the time, but
> I've
> never max'd it out. And I routinely batch process dozens to hundreds
> of
> RAW and/or JPEG images. However, I've configured it to be more RAM
> efficient as I do with all my apps.
>
> I used Firefox for years on Windows (and Linux)--now use Chrome--and,
> as
> I've said, never experienced this problem. Perhaps, it's just the way
> set up my systems--lean and minimal--manage my applications, and use
> the
> system compared to others.
>
> I can only think that this VM problem, since you say it's been
> on-going
> for years with Opera and Firefox, is due to RAM caching. I turn that
> off, if I can. In fact, if I can, I turn off ALL browser caching.
> With
> today's high speed Internet service, such caching (RAM or disk) is of
> little value. When all there was was dial-up, things were different.

Some of the reports showed issues no matter what setting were used for
browser RAM caching. Note in the example links below that some comments
are discussing memory usage, and others virtual memory usage which is
what I'm referring to.

Virtual Memory Consumption High - Opera for Windows - Opera Community
http://my.opera.com/community/forums...dml?id=1283812

High CPU usage and Opera do not Free RAM - arghh! - Opera browser -
Opera Community
http://my.opera.com/community/forums...comment9666572

McAfee Communities: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage
https://community.mcafee.com/message/204476?tstart=0

I've seen similar threads in Mozilla forums over the years.

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Stefan Patric

      8th Jul 2012
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 08:52:06 -0400, glee wrote:

> "Stefan Patric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jsqi53$vsk$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> [snip]
>> I can only think that this VM problem, since you say it's been on-going
>> for years with Opera and Firefox, is due to RAM caching. I turn that
>> off, if I can. In fact, if I can, I turn off ALL browser caching. With
>> today's high speed Internet service, such caching (RAM or disk) is of
>> little value. When all there was was dial-up, things were different.

> Some of the reports showed issues no matter what setting were used for
> browser RAM caching. Note in the example links below that some comments
> are discussing memory usage, and others virtual memory usage which is
> what I'm referring to.
>
> Virtual Memory Consumption High - Opera for Windows - Opera Community
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums...dml?id=1283812
>
> High CPU usage and Opera do not Free RAM - arghh! - Opera browser -
> Opera Community
> http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?

id=1020442&t=1329815632&page=1#comment9666572

> McAfee Communities: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage
> https://community.mcafee.com/message/204476?tstart=0
>
> I've seen similar threads in Mozilla forums over the years.

I'm not doubting you: I've just never experienced it. Based on what was
discussed in the links you gave, I still think it's due to RAM cacheing
that runs out of available user RAM--reserving some for system use--and
moves into virtual RAM. If it were a coding bug, the "problem" should
occur on other OSes like Linux and OSX that the browsers run on. But it
doesn't seem to. Of course, Linux and OSX have much better memory
management than Windows.

I'm going to see if I can create the problem. Just for fun. Has this
occurred with Internet Explorer, too, or only with Firefox and Opera?

Stef