Re: Very slow menu when right-clicking on a shortcut

Fatbob

      11th Sep 2003
Awesome advice John! I would have never thought of using Regmon, which is a
very good and useful tool.

After using Regmon, I don't seem to have the same issue that you
encountered. I do however get a whole bunch of 'NOTFOUND' with a couple of
registry keys that explorer seems to be looking for.

Here are a couple of examples...

HKCU\.lnk
HKCU\lnkfile
HKCU\lnkfile\CurVer
HKCR\lnkfile\CurVer
HKCU\lnkfile\shell
HKCR\lnkfile\shell
HKCU\lnkfile\shellex\DataHandler
HKCR\lnkfile\shellex\DataHandler

When I look for these keys on several other Win2k workstations, they all
don't have any of these keys either, but for some reason, my PC is looking
for them?

Any clues?

"John Halsey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uo%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I solved this problem for a friend recently. It turned out that his
> computer had a program installed that pointed to a network shared folder,
> but he computer hosting that shared folder was shut down. Every time he
> right-clicked, his computer would delay for about 30 seconds, and then
> display the pop-up menu for that item.
>
> The way I discovered the solution was to use the free Registry Monitor
> utility from www.sysinternals.com. Since most pop-up menus in Windows
> Explorer are defined by items in the Registry, this tool is useful to see
> what it's looking for.
>
> Run the Registry Monitor, then right-click a file in Explorer. RegMon

will
> capture a ton of events. Once the pop-up menu finally appears after 30
> seconds, stop RegMon and review the results. Search for \\ to locate any
> remote computer that it may be trying to reference, such as

\\Server1\Shared

> Hope this helps.
>
> -John
>

> "Fatbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi guys, I'm having a very annoying problem and need help. When I
> > right-click on any .lnk file (a shortcut file) it takes over half minute

> (35
> > seconds to be exact) for the menu to appear. This happens on the

desktop,
> > Explorer, Start Menu, etc. However, when I right-click on any other type

> of
> > file (i.e. exe, txt), it works fine.
> >
> > What can be causing this problem with my shortcuts?
> >
> > I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP4.
> >
> > PS. I don't have any type of menu animation turned on.

John Halsey

      12th Sep 2003
It's common for Windows to query the Registry and receive "NOTFOUND"
replies. This is how it lets an individual user have preferences that
differ from the system defaults. In your example, it checks to see if HKCU
(Current User) has any custom handlers for the .lnk filetype before checking
the default system settings under HKCR (for all users).

Getting back to your problem, the symptoms still seem to indicate a network
timeout causing the delay when you right-click. You might also want to
capture your workstation's network traffic while you right-click to see if
your computer is querying for some network resource. Do you have any kind
of packet capture software available? If your problem was on a Win2000
Server, you could use the built-in Network Monitor to see what's going on
behind the scenes. Since you're on Win2000 Pro, you'll need a 3rd party
capture tool. If you have access to Microsoft SMS, it has the full version
of Network Monitor that you could use. Otherwise, do a search for other
tools on the web. Here's a good place to start:
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Packet_Sniffers~Info.htm

-John

"Fatbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Awesome advice John! I would have never thought of using Regmon, which is

> very good and useful tool.
>
> After using Regmon, I don't seem to have the same issue that you
> encountered. I do however get a whole bunch of 'NOTFOUND' with a couple of
> registry keys that explorer seems to be looking for.
>
> Here are a couple of examples...
>
> HKCU\.lnk
> HKCU\lnkfile
> HKCU\lnkfile\CurVer
> HKCR\lnkfile\CurVer
> HKCU\lnkfile\shell
> HKCR\lnkfile\shell
> HKCU\lnkfile\shellex\DataHandler
> HKCR\lnkfile\shellex\DataHandler
>
> When I look for these keys on several other Win2k workstations, they all
> don't have any of these keys either, but for some reason, my PC is looking
> for them?
>
> Any clues?
>
> "John Halsey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uo%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I solved this problem for a friend recently. It turned out that his
> > computer had a program installed that pointed to a network shared

folder,
> > but he computer hosting that shared folder was shut down. Every time he
> > right-clicked, his computer would delay for about 30 seconds, and then
> > display the pop-up menu for that item.
> >
> > The way I discovered the solution was to use the free Registry Monitor
> > utility from www.sysinternals.com. Since most pop-up menus in Windows
> > Explorer are defined by items in the Registry, this tool is useful to

see
> > what it's looking for.
> >
> > Run the Registry Monitor, then right-click a file in Explorer. RegMon

> will
> > capture a ton of events. Once the pop-up menu finally appears after 30
> > seconds, stop RegMon and review the results. Search for \\ to locate

any
> > remote computer that it may be trying to reference, such as

> \\Server1\Shared
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > -John
> >

> > "Fatbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi guys, I'm having a very annoying problem and need help. When I
> > > right-click on any .lnk file (a shortcut file) it takes over half

minute
> > (35
> > > seconds to be exact) for the menu to appear. This happens on the

> desktop,
> > > Explorer, Start Menu, etc. However, when I right-click on any other

type
> > of
> > > file (i.e. exe, txt), it works fine.
> > >
> > > What can be causing this problem with my shortcuts?
> > >
> > > I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP4.
> > >
> > > PS. I don't have any type of menu animation turned on.

Fatbob

      15th Sep 2003
Thanks for all your help John. I'll try using a packet tool as you suggest.