RE: Use Outlook as analog for Google Desktop sidebar (desktop manager)

=?Utf-8?B?TWlsbHkgU3RhcGxlcyBbTVZQIC0gT3V0bG9va10=

      15th Dec 2006
No and I doubt it.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook}
Please post all followup questions to the newsgroups only to keep the

"apfwebs" wrote:

> I use Google Desktop functions: email notification, local contact lookup,
> calendar (month view with event date highighted and clickable) display;
> scratch pad (ongoing note); to-do list; and *large* digital clock. It would
> seem that all these could just as well be handled by Outlook, if Outlook
> could be configured as a sidebar-sized display and it could be configured to
> display all these items at once. Is it possible? Or is there an add-in that
> makes it possible?

Kevin D. Holmes

      17th Feb 2009
Is there any way to just add a large clock to the To-Do Bar?
This would be incredibly useful!

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

      17th Feb 2009
"Kevin D. Holmes" <Kevin D. http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there any way to just add a large clock to the To-Do Bar?
> This would be incredibly useful!

What's wrong with a desktop clock?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sktop+%2Bclock
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      17th Feb 2009
no.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Kevin D. Holmes" <Kevin D. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to just add a large clock to the To-Do Bar?
> This would be incredibly useful!

Kevin D. Holmes

      17th Feb 2009
If my computer were idle, so that I was looking at my desktop, a desktop
clock would be useful. However, I have three monitors and I generally have
all of them in use. I am usually deep in thought writing code or building
reports, but I also have meetings to remember and urgent email requests to
reply to, as well as a good number of time-sensitive tasks.

My Ideal solution would be just what apfwebs asked about - an "Outlook
sidebar" for just these items. I would like to use Outlook to help me manage
my what and when's, but I don't want to stop my work every so often to pull
up Outlook and see what is coming up when. Sure, I use Outlook reminders
that pop up, but I'd rather be able to see at a glance how long I have until
my next scheduled activity to decide whether to tackle rewriting that next
block of code or shuffle to preparing for the next meeting I have coming up.

When I only have stuff up on two screens, say Excel and SQL Management
studio, I see my Outlook inbox. Yet it only shows what day it is, not what
TIME. I don't have just one task to do each day, I have many, and my
schedule and to-do's are frequently changed by the needs of others. Outlook
is good in many ways, but it not granular enough for my needs. I don't just
want to see what's coming up tomorrow, I need to see what ten things are
coming up in the next hour. Outlook is also not enough of a "push" tool. I
don't want to have to go to it to see what's coming (pull-type publishing), I
want it to be there every moment "pushing".

In other words, I would like it to be always visible in a way that takes
only a slice of my screen, but still large enough that I can see it at a
glance. The clock on the start bar is way too small for this, and it's not
sitting right on top of my "To Do bar". I use a 3rd party sidebar right now
(I'm in Windows XP), and I can approximate this somewhat. I've just moved to
Office 2007, however, and I love the new To Do bar, but I don't need just the
calendar--I need a clock right above that so I can see at a glance when I
need to find a stopping point in my work and switch gears.

It seems that Outlook is focused more for Sales guys, not tech folks.
Judging by the tone of many of the postings, I am going to guess that the
needs of users don't count for much. <Sigh>.