Re: Unable to read my burned CDs and DVDs in various DVD-ROM drives...

Yousuf Khan

      14th Sep 2009
Ant wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is it me or do some old DVD-ROM drives have serious problems reading
> burned discs (CD-R, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs [assuming
> they can read them])? It can be unable to read the whole disc (e.g.,
> Explorer says to insert disc) or partially discs (e.g., can't copy
> specific files). I have seen this at work and home with many IDE/PATA
> DVD drives, brands, PCs, etc.

No, you're not the only one who's noticed that. I had so much trouble
with this problem in the past, I used to burn them on one writer and
verify them back on a different drive. I'd make sure I'd get two
separate brands of drives in all cases. However, then I found this site
and it explains quite a bit:

digitalFAQ.com | Blank DVD Media Quality Guide
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Yousuf Khan

Rod Speed

      14th Sep 2009
Ant wrote
> Yousuf Khan typed

>>> Is it me or do some old DVD-ROM drives have serious problems reading
>>> burned discs (CD-R, CD-RWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs
>>> [assuming they can read them])? It can be unable to read the whole
>>> disc (e.g., Explorer says to insert disc) or partially discs (e.g.,
>>> can't copy specific files). I have seen this at work and home with
>>> many IDE/PATA DVD drives, brands, PCs, etc.

>> No, you're not the only one who's noticed that. I had so much trouble
>> with this problem in the past, I used to burn them on one writer and
>> verify them back on a different drive. I'd make sure I'd get two
>> separate brands of drives in all cases. However, then I found this
>> site and it explains quite a bit:

>> digitalFAQ.com | Blank DVD Media Quality Guide
>> http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

> Thanks. What about CDs?

The short story is that you dont need to bother anymore, even the worst of whats buyable works fine.

Thats not true of DVDs tho.