Re: TOC font won't cooperate

Terry Farrell

      9th Jun 2009
Presumably you have Word 2003? TNR is the built in default font that Word
uses when it doesn't know which font it should be using. To stop this
happening, my workaround is to create a base style for a new template making
sure it is based on No Style. Then most other styles in the template are
then based on the template base style. Make sure that TOC1 style is based on
the Base Style but TOCs 2, 3, 4, etc are based on TOC1 style. Make sure that
the styles are all saved with the correct template though.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" <u3143@uwe> wrote in message
> I did a search, and many people have trouble controlling the TOC font.
> None
> of the discussions applied to my situation, that I could see. I have every
> TOC style defined as Arial. There's no direct formatting. But whatever I
> do,
> the TOC is back in Times Roman whenever I regenerate. Times Roman rises
> from
> the dead no matter how many times I kill it, so I need to drive a stake
> through its heart. (Sorry, Word "features" do this to me.) I've tried both
> checking and unchecking "Automatically update", in case that was related,
> but
> it had no effect. Can someone suggest where the Times Roman spec is coming
> from?
>
> --
> Christopher Brewster
> Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Terry Farrell

      10th Jun 2009
If you limit the Style Task Pane to display ONLY those styles that are in
use in the template, you can then create your new template base style ands
edit the others to be based on that style. So you don't have to change every
style in Word, just those in use in that template.

Terry

> Thanks for these tips, which I'll try. Just a comment: Word has no
> reason -
> not- to know which font to use, since each TOC style specifies the font.
> Anyway, I have a question about your suggestion: you mention a new
> template,
> but I've been working on this template for a while. Is there a way to get
> the
> result you describe with an existing template?
>
> Terry Farrell wrote:
>>Presumably you have Word 2003? TNR is the built in default font that Word
>>uses when it doesn't know which font it should be using. To stop this
>>happening, my workaround is to create a base style for a new template
>>making
>>sure it is based on No Style. Then most other styles in the template are
>>then based on the template base style. Make sure that TOC1 style is based
>>on
>>the Base Style but TOCs 2, 3, 4, etc are based on TOC1 style. Make sure
>>that
>>the styles are all saved with the correct template though.
>>
>>> I did a search, and many people have trouble controlling the TOC font.
>>> None

>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>> it had no effect. Can someone suggest where the Times Roman spec is
>>> coming
>>> from?

> --
> Christopher Brewster
> Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Terry Farrell

      12th Jun 2009
You create a base style the same as any other style and make sure to base it
on No Style. If you don't know how to create a style, then read Style in
Microsoft Word here...

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

Terry

> I have a further question about the base style concept. My template has
> "Normal", and the other styles are almost based on that. Is that all you
> mean
> by a base style? Why do my TOC styles not override the font in Normal? I
> tried basing the TOC styles on no style, didn't help. I made a new style
> called TOC base, and based them on that, didn't help. Or is the base style
> something deeper than the way Normal is used?
>
> christophercbrewster wrote:
>>Another question about the base style. Do I create a new style called Base
>>Style, or is it a built-in thing that I access? To make the other styles
>>inherit from this base, do I make it the top of a hierarchy, so that all
>>the
>>styles ultimately derive from it? I can't find any documentation about the
>>concept. (Yet another MICROSOFT MYSTERY!)
>>
>>>If you limit the Style Task Pane to display ONLY those styles that are in
>>>use in the template, you can then create your new template base style
>>>ands

>>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

> --
> Christopher Brewster
> Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      15th Jun 2009
The Hyperlink style is by default defined as Default Paragraph Font +
Underline, Font Color: Blue. At some point, TNR must have been added to the
style definition. What makes this very hard to troubleshoot is that the
Hyperlink formatting is suppressed in TOC and REF fields even when they are
hyperlinked. This is pretty obvious when you click in a TOC entry, however,
since Hyperlink is displayed in the Style box (making it that much harder to
actually get to and modify the underlying TOC 1, TOC 2, etc., style).

If you had created a TOC that did not include the \h switch (that is, the
entries would not be hyperlinked, though the page numbers still would be),
you would not have been seeing these issues!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)