Re: Stop Error: 0x0000007F (0x00000008,0x80042000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Gerry

      3rd Jan 2009
Ryan

Background information on Stop Error message

This applies in your situation.

0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a
call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions
are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot
be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a
double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

1. A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is
hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no
stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you
think this overview has occurred, use the !thread debugger extension to
determine the stack limits, and then use the kb (Display Stack
Backtrace) debugger command with a large parameter (for example, kb 100)
to display the full stack.

2. A hardware problem.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware
failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition
that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures
are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error
referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware
failures are the most common.
Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? Right click on
the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties,
Hardware,Device Manager. If yes what is the Device Error code?

Try Start, Run, type "sigverif.exe" without quotes and hit OK. What
drivers are listed as unsigned? Disregard those which are not checked.

If the computer does not automatically restart in safe mode that tends
to rule out what is used in safe mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

http://www.answers.com/topic/safe-mode-1

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ryanoc wrote:
> I am getting a Stop Error: 0x0000007F
> (0x00000008,0x80042000,0x00000000,0x00000000) every time I turn on the
> computer. It dumps the memory and then reboots infinitely. I am able
> to boot in Safe Mode. After booting in Safe Mode, I am also able to
> boot using a selective startup (using msconfig) to load everything
> except "Plug and Play" under the Services tab.
>
> I have taken out all of my PCI cards and USB devices. I even changed
> my mouse and keyboard, but I still get the error. How can I find the
> device or software that is causing this error?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Bob Lucas

      3rd Jan 2009
Before contemplating reinstallation of your OS, check Device Manager
again.

However, before you do so, enable viewing of unplugged and hidden items.
You will find detailed guidance at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us.

"ryanoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks Gerry. There are no yellow question marks in Device Manager.
> ran "sigverif.exe" and found 8 unsigned drivers. However, the most
> recent updated unsigned driver was over a year ago. I haven't added
> any
> new hardware to my computer recently. As stated before, I can boot up
> the computer using selective startup with everything checked except
> "Plug and Play". I don't know if this helps diagnose the problem. I
> am
> wondering if the problem is with a plug and play device, the
> motherboard, RAM, or software.
> I have stripped out all USB and PCI devices from my computer, but I
> still get the error when doing a normal boot. I removed the RAM and
> blew compressed air into the RAM slots and everywhere else in the
> computer. There was a little dust, but not much. I am running
> Windows
> XP with Service Pack 3. Can I reinstall the OS without losing all the
> updates since my XP disk was produced (several years ago)? Any other
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan
>

> --
> ryanoc
> ryanoc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ryanoc.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1097186.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Gerry

      3rd Jan 2009

Ryan

"with everything checked except "Plug and Play". What exactly do you
mean? There is a Plug and Play Service and Universal Plug and Play
Service. Stopping or disabling Plug and Play will result in system
instability.

I have not attempted troubleshooting this way but applying logic I am
able to make a number of comments based on what is going on on my
computer. You will need to compare with your own.

The Plug and Play Service starts in Safe Mode. If yours does the same
stopping the Service in a selective StartUp does not isolate the error.
The Service on my computer has six dependent services. These are Logical
Disk Manager, Logical Disk Manager Admin Service, Smart Card, Telephony,
Windows Audio, and Windows Driver Foundation. Stopping Smart Card,
Telephony, Windows Audio in my view would be services to stop first. I
am not certain what effect stopping the other three would have. On my
computer they presently have not started in normal mode.

This service is the heart and soul of the Plug and Play environment and
this service cannot be stopped using the services control panel and
should not be stopped by any other means. Take note: UPnP is not PnP.
UPnP is for connectivity on networks via TCP/IP to devices, such as
scanners or printers. Your sound card is PnP. Do not disable Plug and
Play service.
Paragraph Source: Black Viper

What other service require Plug and Play to function properly:
Fax (H, M, P, T)
Logical Disk Manager (H, M, P, T)
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (H, M, P, T)
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (H, M, P, T)
Messenger (H, M, P, T)
Smart Card (H, M, P, T)
Telephony (H, M, P, T)
Fax (H, M, P, T)
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager (H, M, P, T)
Remote Access Connection Manager (H, M, P, T)
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager (H, M, P, T)
Windows Audio (H, M, P, T)
Paragraph Source: Black Viper

The Universal Plug and Play Service did not start in Safe Mode and has
not started in Normal Mode. The only dependency here is the Windows
Media Player Network Service which has not started.

Used in conjunction with SSDP Discovery Service, it detects and
configures UPnP devices on your home network. If any external device
does not function because of this service being disabled, place it back
in to Automatic. MSN Messenger uses this service in conjunction with
supported UPnP devices, to provide support for networks behind a NAT
firewall, gateway or router. Also, if you are experiencing difficulty
connecting to multiplayer games that use DirectX(7,8,9), place this
service to Automatic and ensure you download all security updates.
Furthermore, if you use Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and
wish to make use of the "allow others to modify this connection"
feature, enable UPnP. Take note: UPnP is not PnP. UPnP is for
connectivity on networks via TCP/IP to devices, such as scanners or
printers. Your sound card is PnP. Do not disable the Plug and Play
service.
Paragraph Source: Black Viper

What service Universal Plug and Play Device Host needs to function
properly:
HTTP (H, M, P, T)
SDDP Discovery Service (H, M, P, T)
HTTP (H, M, P, T)
Paragraph Source: Black Viper:

To eliminate USB devices you can enable or disable the device in Device
Manager.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ryanoc wrote:
> Thanks Gerry. There are no yellow question marks in Device Manager.
> I ran "sigverif.exe" and found 8 unsigned drivers. However, the most
> recent updated unsigned driver was over a year ago. I haven't added
> any new hardware to my computer recently. As stated before, I can
> boot up the computer using selective startup with everything checked
> except "Plug and Play". I don't know if this helps diagnose the
> problem. I am wondering if the problem is with a plug and play
> device, the motherboard, RAM, or software.
> I have stripped out all USB and PCI devices from my computer, but I
> still get the error when doing a normal boot. I removed the RAM and
> blew compressed air into the RAM slots and everywhere else in the
> computer. There was a little dust, but not much. I am running
> Windows XP with Service Pack 3. Can I reinstall the OS without
> losing all the updates since my XP disk was produced (several years
> ago)? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Gerry

      4th Jan 2009
Ryan

I thought I posted this yesterday evening but it has not appeared so
here's another copy.

ryanoc wrote:
> Thanks Gerry. There are no yellow question marks in Device Manager.
> I ran "sigverif.exe" and found 8 unsigned drivers. However, the most
> recent updated unsigned driver was over a year ago. I haven't added
> any new hardware to my computer recently. As stated before, I can
> boot up the computer using selective startup with everything checked
> except "Plug and Play". I don't know if this helps diagnose the
> problem. I am wondering if the problem is with a plug and play
> device, the motherboard, RAM, or software.
> I have stripped out all USB and PCI devices from my computer, but I
> still get the error when doing a normal boot. I removed the RAM and
> blew compressed air into the RAM slots and everywhere else in the
> computer. There was a little dust, but not much. I am running
> Windows XP with Service Pack 3. Can I reinstall the OS without
> losing all the updates since my XP disk was produced (several years
> ago)? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Gerry

      5th Jan 2009

ryanoc

Well done.

Smart Card, Telephony, and Windows Audio in my view are services you
need to watch.

--

Gerry
~~~~
ryanoc wrote:
> The Ghost image restoral worked! I'm going to add back all my
> peripherals and hope that the problem doesn't happen again.

Gerry

      14th Jan 2009
Ryan

We may not have narrowed the problem to one of the three services but
they are the obvious place to start. Logic says it is likely to be
Windows Audio as the Start Up type is Automatic whereas the other two
are Manual.

Select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and place
the cursor on Windows Audio. Right click and select Properties, General
tab and use the Scroll to the right of StartUp type to change Automatic
to Disable. Click on Apply and OK. Exit and restart your computer. If
lucky we have pinpointed the cause and then need to find out why and
resolve.

My feeling is that it will not be one of the other two but if the
Windows Audio test does not provide the answer try one at a time.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryanoc wrote:
> The error is back. How can I diagnose what's causing the problem?
> How can I watch the following services?: "Smart Card, Telephony, and
> Windows Audio"
> The system was working fine until I restarted the system. Now I can
> only start in safe mode.

Gerry

      15th Jan 2009
Ryan

Are you referring to the Malicious Software Removal Tool?

It depends on your settings for Automatic Update but I would not expect
it to run in any version of Safe Mode, except Safe Mode with Networking.
Was this months Critical Security Update also installed?

--

Gerry
~~~~