PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

RE: STOP C0000218

 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Sep 2004
I have a workstation running Windows 2000 SP4 and when it
started up today we received the BSOD and a STOP

Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\systemroot\system32\config\SAM
or its log or alternate
It is corrupted, absent or not writable

The system just keeps resetting itself over and over.

Is there any hope for this workstation ? I noticed several
other posts with no answers...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Sep 2004
If the sam hive is corrupt, it may be possible to rename the sam hive found
in;
%windir%\system32\config\sam
to sam.old
then copy the most recent backup found in
%windir%\repair\regback
as
%windir%\system32\config\sam

If that fails you can copy/ use the file
%windir%\repair\sam

Replacing the system or software hive is pretty straight-forward; not sure
what the impact is going to be as far as replacing the sam hive. It might be
that the sam and security need to be replaced in pairs. Seems you've nothing
to lose by trying though.

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer:
%systemroot% and %windir%

Any account passwords are likely to revert to those in effect at the time of
the backup.


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|I have a workstation running Windows 2000 SP4 and when it
| started up today we received the BSOD and a STOP
|
| Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
| The registry cannot load the hive (file)
| \systemroot\system32\config\SAM
| or its log or alternate
| It is corrupted, absent or not writable
|
| The system just keeps resetting itself over and over.
|
| Is there any hope for this workstation ? I noticed several
| other posts with no answers...
|
| Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Sep 2004
Dave:

Thank you for the quick reply!

The only problem I see is I can't seem to find any subdir
or files in the %windir%\system32\ called regback. Is
this directory hidden ??

Thanks again for all your help!

>-----Original Message-----
>If the sam hive is corrupt, it may be possible to rename

the sam hive found
>in;
>%windir%\system32\config\sam
>to sam.old
>then copy the most recent backup found in
>%windir%\repair\regback
>as
>%windir%\system32\config\sam
>
>If that fails you can copy/ use the file
>%windir%\repair\sam
>
>Replacing the system or software hive is pretty straight-

forward; not sure
>what the impact is going to be as far as replacing the

sam hive. It might be
>that the sam and security need to be replaced in pairs.

Seems you've nothing
>to lose by trying though.
>
>To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from

the Windows 2000
>Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you

do not have Setup
>floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the

Windows 2000 Setup CD,
>use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the

Setup floppy disks.
>Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R

to repair a Windows
>2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery

Console. The
>Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator

password. If you do
>not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not

allow access to the
>computer. If an incorrect password is entered three

times, the Recovery
>Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the

registry is corrupted
>or missing or no valid installations are found, the

Recovery Console starts
>in the root of the startup volume without requiring a

password. You cannot
>access any folders, but you can carry out commands such

as chkdsk, fixboot,
>and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password

has been validated,
>you have full access to the Recovery Console, but

limited access to the hard
>disk. You can only access the following folders on your

computer:
>%systemroot% and %windir%
>
>Any account passwords are likely to revert to those in

effect at the time of
>the backup.
>
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>|I have a workstation running Windows 2000 SP4 and when

it
>| started up today we received the BSOD and a STOP
>|
>| Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
>| The registry cannot load the hive (file)
>| \systemroot\system32\config\SAM
>| or its log or alternate
>| It is corrupted, absent or not writable
>|
>| The system just keeps resetting itself over and over.
>|
>| Is there any hope for this workstation ? I noticed

several
>| other posts with no answers...
>|
>| Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>|
>| Thanks!
>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Patrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Sep 2004
No, not hidden. It's not found in the system32 directory.
%windir%\repair\regback
If it does not exist this just means you may have never backed up the
registry.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| Dave:
|
| Thank you for the quick reply!
|
| The only problem I see is I can't seem to find any subdir
| or files in the %windir%\system32\ called regback. Is
| this directory hidden ??
|
| Thanks again for all your help!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STOP:c0000218 {REGISTRY FILE FAILURE} =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?= Windows XP Help 1 25th Feb 2005 09:11 PM
Stop: c0000218 error =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWU=?= Windows XP Help 0 1st Oct 2004 08:35 PM
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file) Doug Windows XP Performance 0 29th Jun 2004 08:50 PM
STOP: c0000218 registry file failure Dave Windows XP Performance 1 16th Oct 2003 07:20 PM
STOP : c0000218; STOP: 0x00000051 gregdil Microsoft Windows 2000 1 8th Sep 2003 01:59 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:17 PM.