Re-setting login

Trayon5

      27th May 2009
I had configured windows to skip the login and boot to my desktop. Now I
need to use the admin login but I can't remember how to turn it back on.

Shenan Stanley

      27th May 2009
Trayon5 wrote:
> I had configured windows to skip the login and boot to my desktop.
> Now I need to use the admin login but I can't remember how to turn
> it back on.

Reverse what you did to enable automatic logon... (What did you do - see
below.)

You can boot into Safe Mode and log on as the local "administrator" as
well - which you may have to do so you can undo something from below...

Automatic Logons:
------
Microsoft method:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
(Essentially the same... but different place:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/13/ )

Microsoft Method 2:
TweakUI from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

control userpasswords2 method:
1) Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
2) Type in the following:

control userpasswords2

now click OK
3) In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the
primary logon.
Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
4) Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected
users password.
Click OK when you are done...
------

Hopefully that gets you where you are wanting to be.

It is a *good* thing in the user arena to:
1) Have strong passwords.
2) Have more than one administrator level account (with strong passwords).

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP