Re: Removing a dual install

Chris Szilagyi

      9th Jul 2003
You can edit the "boot.ini" file on your partition root. Just remove
the entry you don't want. But be careful not to remove the wrong one.
They are in the same order as displayed in the menu. There is no harm
done in leaving it there. However if you installed both Win2k's into
separate folders, you'll probably want to delete the winnt folder for
the one that is not used to save disk space.

Chris Szilagyi
Technical Consultant

Apex Internet Solutions - http://www.apex-internet.com
Complete Internet Hosting Solutions, Custom Websites

Ben wrote:

>I set up Win 2k as a dual install on my machine concurrent
>with Windows ME. I accidently installed Win 2k twice on
>the machine so now at startup I have a list like this:
>
>Windows 2k Professional
>Windows 2k Professional
>Windows
>
>How can I remove the middle win 2k pro o/s? Or will it
>cause problems if I just leave it on their? I never
>completed the install of the middle one, just the top.
>
>Thanks, Ben

Robin Bradley

      9th Jul 2003
Make a copy of the boot.ini before you edit it. First, you need to show
hidden files and folders and unhide protected operating system files.

"Chris Szilagyi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can edit the "boot.ini" file on your partition root. Just remove
> the entry you don't want. But be careful not to remove the wrong one.
> They are in the same order as displayed in the menu. There is no harm
> done in leaving it there. However if you installed both Win2k's into
> separate folders, you'll probably want to delete the winnt folder for
> the one that is not used to save disk space.
>
> Chris Szilagyi
> Technical Consultant

> Apex Internet Solutions - http://www.apex-internet.com
> Complete Internet Hosting Solutions, Custom Websites
>
> Ben wrote:
>
> >I set up Win 2k as a dual install on my machine concurrent
> >with Windows ME. I accidently installed Win 2k twice on
> >the machine so now at startup I have a list like this:
> >
> >Windows 2k Professional
> >Windows 2k Professional
> >Windows
> >
> >How can I remove the middle win 2k pro o/s? Or will it
> >cause problems if I just leave it on their? I never
> >completed the install of the middle one, just the top.
> >
> >Thanks, Ben

Ben

      10th Jul 2003
How do I get to the boot.ini file on the partition root.
I cant find it through the windows explorer. I am asuming
that is not where I am supposed to be looking. Thanks, Ben

Bob I

      10th Jul 2003
Turn "Show hidden and system files" on. Also it is a read only file so
you have to turn that off.