Re: Reg keys for Floppy NTBACKUP Repair diskette

Dave Patrick

      7th Jul 2004
Check that the file 'setup.log' exists in the
%systemroot%\repair
directory.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"tboneshep" wrote:
| When trying to run NTBACKUP, Emergency Repair Disk Operation, I get the
following error on 2 machines (Dell GX-270-W2kPro-SP4), GUI Windows Pop-Up
says: The operation failed.
| The disk was not found or inaccessible.
|
| These are good floppies, formatted. Tried on both machines. There is
nothing in the Local GPO disabling "Write" to the floppy, from I have looked
at. I can write to the floppy with any other type of data on these
computers. Is there a Reg-Key, or NTFS permission that is set to disable
writing the Repair information to a floppy? I can backup the System State
to a local file with no problem.

| Email answers to (E-Mail Removed) if you can!--Tanks!

=?Utf-8?B?dGJvbmVzaGVw?=

      7th Jul 2004
Well, Dave there is no setup.log in the repair folder. Would there be a paramter in the sysoc?.inf file set during setup that would turn off, or disallow writing the repair/registry data to a floppy? Just an idea, will check it out. Is that setup.log file required, or just a log that indicates what or how setup of the workstation went??

Thanks

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check that the file 'setup.log' exists in the
> %systemroot%\repair
> directory.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "tboneshep" wrote:
> | When trying to run NTBACKUP, Emergency Repair Disk Operation, I get the
> following error on 2 machines (Dell GX-270-W2kPro-SP4), GUI Windows Pop-Up
> says: The operation failed.
> | The disk was not found or inaccessible.
> |
> | These are good floppies, formatted. Tried on both machines. There is
> nothing in the Local GPO disabling "Write" to the floppy, from I have looked
> at. I can write to the floppy with any other type of data on these
> computers. Is there a Reg-Key, or NTFS permission that is set to disable
> writing the Repair information to a floppy? I can backup the System State
> to a local file with no problem.
> |
> | Email answers to (E-Mail Removed) if you can!--Tanks!

Dave Patrick

      7th Jul 2004
No to policy, yes to required. This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175960

--

"tboneshep" wrote:
| Well, Dave there is no setup.log in the repair folder. Would there be a
paramter in the sysoc?.inf file set during setup that would turn off, or
disallow writing the repair/registry data to a floppy? Just an idea, will
check it out. Is that setup.log file required, or just a log that indicates
what or how setup of the workstation went??

| Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?dGJvbmVzaGVw?=

      7th Jul 2004

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> No to policy, yes to required. This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175960
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "tboneshep" wrote:
> | Well, Dave there is no setup.log in the repair folder. Would there be a
> paramter in the sysoc?.inf file set during setup that would turn off, or
> disallow writing the repair/registry data to a floppy? Just an idea, will
> check it out. Is that setup.log file required, or just a log that indicates
> what or how setup of the workstation went??
> |
> | Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?dGJvbmVzaGVw?=

      7th Jul 2004

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> No to policy, yes to required. This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175960
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "tboneshep" wrote:
> | Well, Dave there is no setup.log in the repair folder. Would there be a
> paramter in the sysoc?.inf file set during setup that would turn off, or
> disallow writing the repair/registry data to a floppy? Just an idea, will
> check it out. Is that setup.log file required, or just a log that indicates
> what or how setup of the workstation went??
> |
> | Thanks

Dave Patrick

      7th Jul 2004
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback.

--

"tboneshep" wrote:
| Thanks Dave, you're the MAN! The article you pointed me to was right on
the money, I re-created the setup.log file in the repair folder and NTBACKUP
did right the ERD to diskette, so, thank you, tank u, thank you!