Re: Plug and play not working

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      5th Aug 2008
Try a different cable.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"news.rcn.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I posted recently about my Laserjet 5MP not working and got various
>
> Offended at these suggestions, it suddenly started working again
>
> But mysteriously plug and play has stopped working for LPT1 in that when I
> plug it in, I dont get the auto-detect icon and set up in the systray like
> other devices (and obviously the computer cant see the printer).
>
> LPT1 is showing OK in device manager (as an ecp printer port, - there
> deosnt seem to be a way of changing this in the BIOS of this HP Pavilion
> notebook)
>
> Anyone got any idea why this should have suddenly started to happen
> please?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      6th Aug 2008
LPT disables auto PNP after the first detect following a reboot unless you
manually force detection. If you have any other parallel PNP device.

the spooler does not rely on Plug n Play to print to the device, only detect
and install.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team