Re: No Internet access with RRAS enabled

Bill Grant

      8th Dec 2004
How have you configured RRAS? Was it configured as a VPN server using the
'VPN server" option in the setup wizard?

If so, check your public interface for packet filters. That option
configures the server for VPN ONLY, setting filters to block all other
traffic.

"Dean Macinskas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I disable RRAS (Win2K Server, SP4) I can access the Internet with no
> difficulties at the server. As soon as I enable RRAS I lose access to the
> internet. What's odd is that a "route print" shows exactly the same
> routes
> and metrics whether RRAS is enabled or not (see attachment). I continue
> have access to my intranet regardless.
>
> Question: why does enabling RRAS disable Internet access, and what do I
> need
> to do to enable it?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> Regards,
> Dean P. Macinskas

Dean Macinskas

      8th Dec 2004
Bill,

That did the trick. BTW, are there any security issues with allowing all
traffic through the router?

Thanks,
Dean

"Bill Grant" <not.available@online> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How have you configured RRAS? Was it configured as a VPN server using

the
> 'VPN server" option in the setup wizard?
>
> If so, check your public interface for packet filters. That option
> configures the server for VPN ONLY, setting filters to block all other
> traffic.
>
> "Dean Macinskas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If I disable RRAS (Win2K Server, SP4) I can access the Internet with no
> > difficulties at the server. As soon as I enable RRAS I lose access to

the
> > internet. What's odd is that a "route print" shows exactly the same
> > routes
> > and metrics whether RRAS is enabled or not (see attachment). I continue
> > have access to my intranet regardless.
> >
> > Question: why does enabling RRAS disable Internet access, and what do I
> > need
> > to do to enable it?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Dean P. Macinskas

Bill Grant

      9th Dec 2004
There is always some risk when you connect anything to the Internet. If
it is a direct connection to the Internet (ie not behind a firewall), you
should consider blocking everything you don't really need.