Re: Nikon scanner on 64 bit OS

Charlie Hoffpauir

      21st Jun 2012
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:09:42 -0700, "Alan Justice"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Nikon super Coolscan 5000 ED which I have been using on a Win XP
>PC. Will it work on a Win 7 with 64 bit OS?

My Nikon Coolscan IV worked fine on 64 bit Vista and now on 64 bit Win
7, so I don't think you'll have any trouble. However, I haven't tried
using Nikon software, since I've been a Vuescan user for many years.

Charlie Hoffpauir

      22nd Jul 2012
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:06:10 -0700, "Alan Justice"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Charlie Hoffpauir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:09:42 -0700, "Alan Justice"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a Nikon super Coolscan 5000 ED which I have been using on a Win XP
>> >PC. Will it work on a Win 7 with 64 bit OS?

>> My Nikon Coolscan IV worked fine on 64 bit Vista and now on 64 bit Win
>> 7, so I don't think you'll have any trouble. However, I haven't tried
>> using Nikon software, since I've been a Vuescan user for many years.

>I called Nikon and they said Nikon Scan will not work with 64 bit. I'm
>currently trying a XP emulation mode solution. Meanwhile, I DL-ed Vuescan
>and am trying the unpaid-for version. What will the $80 version do that
>the $40 does not?
>
>Two functions I used with Nikon Scan were ICE (to delete dust) and DEE (to
>lighten the shadows). I don't see where I can set Vuescan to do those
>things. Can it?

Vuescan does something roughly equivalent to ICE (which is
proprietary), ie it does an infared scan to reduce the effect of dust,
etc. I have the (now $80 version) so I really don't know what the
cheaper version doesn't have. AFAIK, it DOSEN'T give you unlimited
updates, which is what I have. That may be the only difference, check
the web site for information.

Vuescan does give you lots of "controls" but I rarely use them,
preferring to do my adjustments in Photoshop.

I also use XP with my Win 7 Pro installation, but for Adobe Acrobat,
not Vuescan. I suppose that is one thing to try.... but I'm not at all
sure if it is a 32 or 64 bit implementation of Win XP... better look
into that if you have any problems.

Overall, I think you find Vuescan easier to use than Nikon Scan. My
Nikon scanner is quite old, and I did a lot of scans using Nicon Scan
back when it was new and I was running XP.... After many tries, I
eventually decided Vuescan was simply easier to get good results with.

Rob

      22nd Jul 2012
On 22/07/2012 4:18 PM, Alan Justice wrote:
> "Charlie Hoffpauir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:06:10 -0700, "Alan Justice"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> XP

>>> I called Nikon and they said Nikon Scan will not work with 64 bit. I'm
>>> currently trying a XP emulation mode solution. Meanwhile, I DL-ed

> Vuescan
>>> and am trying the unpaid-for version. What will the $80 version do that
>>> the $40 does not?
>>>
>>> Two functions I used with Nikon Scan were ICE (to delete dust) and DEE

>>> lighten the shadows). I don't see where I can set Vuescan to do those
>>> things. Can it?

>> Vuescan does something roughly equivalent to ICE (which is
>> proprietary), ie it does an infared scan to reduce the effect of dust,
>> etc. I have the (now $80 version) so I really don't know what the
>> cheaper version doesn't have. AFAIK, it DOSEN'T give you unlimited
>> updates, which is what I have. That may be the only difference, check
>> the web site for information.
>>
>> Vuescan does give you lots of "controls" but I rarely use them,
>> preferring to do my adjustments in Photoshop.
>>
>> I also use XP with my Win 7 Pro installation, but for Adobe Acrobat,
>> not Vuescan. I suppose that is one thing to try.... but I'm not at all
>> sure if it is a 32 or 64 bit implementation of Win XP... better look
>> into that if you have any problems.
>>
>> Overall, I think you find Vuescan easier to use than Nikon Scan. My
>> Nikon scanner is quite old, and I did a lot of scans using Nicon Scan
>> back when it was new and I was running XP.... After many tries, I
>> eventually decided Vuescan was simply easier to get good results with.

> Okay, thanks for the comments. I got comfortable with Nikon Scan, but you
> and others say Vuescan is better, so I'll try.

I think your right - each scanner I have and have used, tend to use the
supplied programme.

i have tried to come to terms with Silverfast and Vuescan. But they are
no better than the supplied programme.

You can't get more out of the scanner than the scanner.

Charlie Hoffpauir

      22nd Jul 2012
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 23:40:52 +1000, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 22/07/2012 4:18 PM, Alan Justice wrote:
>> "Charlie Hoffpauir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> XP

>> Vuescan

>>> Vuescan does something roughly equivalent to ICE (which is
>>> proprietary), ie it does an infared scan to reduce the effect of dust,
>>> etc. I have the (now $80 version) so I really don't know what the
>>> cheaper version doesn't have. AFAIK, it DOSEN'T give you unlimited
>>> updates, which is what I have. That may be the only difference, check
>>> the web site for information.
>>>
>>> Vuescan does give you lots of "controls" but I rarely use them,
>>> preferring to do my adjustments in Photoshop.
>>>
>>> I also use XP with my Win 7 Pro installation, but for Adobe Acrobat,
>>> not Vuescan. I suppose that is one thing to try.... but I'm not at all
>>> sure if it is a 32 or 64 bit implementation of Win XP... better look
>>> into that if you have any problems.
>>>
>>> Overall, I think you find Vuescan easier to use than Nikon Scan. My
>>> Nikon scanner is quite old, and I did a lot of scans using Nicon Scan
>>> back when it was new and I was running XP.... After many tries, I
>>> eventually decided Vuescan was simply easier to get good results with.

>> Okay, thanks for the comments. I got comfortable with Nikon Scan, but you
>> and others say Vuescan is better, so I'll try.
>>

>I think your right - each scanner I have and have used, tend to use the
>supplied programme.
>
>i have tried to come to terms with Silverfast and Vuescan. But they are
>no better than the supplied programme.
>
>You can't get more out of the scanner than the scanner.

I completely agree with your last statement.

What I was "trying" to say, is that it seemed "easier" to get good
results with Vuescan than with Nikon Scan. However, that was quite a
long time ago, and I'm sure both programs have changed since then.

I recently bought a new Epson flat bed scanner, and find that I tend
to use Epson Scan about equally as Vuescan with this scanner. In
either case, the quality of the scans seem equal.

In general, scanning opaque material seems to be much easier than
scanning 35mm slides and negatives.

Rob

      10th Aug 2012
On 22/07/2012 10:06 AM, Alan Justice wrote:
> "Charlie Hoffpauir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:09:42 -0700, "Alan Justice"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Nikon super Coolscan 5000 ED which I have been using on a Win XP
>>> PC. Will it work on a Win 7 with 64 bit OS?

>> My Nikon Coolscan IV worked fine on 64 bit Vista and now on 64 bit Win
>> 7, so I don't think you'll have any trouble. However, I haven't tried
>> using Nikon software, since I've been a Vuescan user for many years.

> I called Nikon and they said Nikon Scan will not work with 64 bit. I'm
> currently trying a XP emulation mode solution. Meanwhile, I DL-ed Vuescan
> and am trying the unpaid-for version. What will the $80 version do that
> the $40 does not?
>
> Two functions I used with Nikon Scan were ICE (to delete dust) and DEE (to
> lighten the shadows). I don't see where I can set Vuescan to do those
> things. Can it?

Its not that there is no 64x programme, it works on 32 bit within a 64x
operating system.

The comparability bit comes with the OS. So if Nikon have not released a
Vista or W7 programme it ain't gona work.

What happens when you load a later scanner version that runs under W7
will that work with the early LS2000???