Re: Nikon Coolscan vs. Epson Perfection scanners - recommendations?

Charlie Hoffpauir

      30th Nov 2009
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:23:44 -0500, Local Girl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to scan a collection of family slides. There are
>thousands of slides, of which I am probably going to scan a few
>hundred. So, it's a big job but not so immense that it will be
>impossible to finish.
>
>I also am considering the idea of offering a slide scanning service,
>once I am set up with the equipment and have gained some expertise
>doing my personal project.
>
>Can anyone give me some recommendations as to equipment? I have been
>looking at the Epson Perfection V700 and the slightly more expensive
>Perfection V750-M Pro.
>
>And I have been looking at the Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and 9000ED.
>
>The Epsons have a much lower pricetag than the Nikon. Epson is
>currently offering a rebate, making even the more expensive of their
>two only $700, as opposed to either $1200 or $2200 for the Nikons,
>depending on which of those is considered. The Epson scanners are a
>flatbed that scans film and slides; the Nikons are dedicated film
>scanners.
>
>I also received a suggestion that I could photograph the slides with a
>digital camera. I would also appreciate any comments on this
>technique.
>
>Thanks in advance for any input. That Epson rebate is only good
>through this Wednesday, so I am hoping to make a decision about this
>before then.
>
>-LG

Personal opinions follow....

The suggestion to photograph the slides with a digital camera is the
lease desirable for a quality of reproduction standpoint. Probably not
as good of results as scanning prints of the slides with a flat bed
scanner (not mentioned).

The Nikons, true film scanners, will give results that you can easily
see are superior to that of "most" flat bed scanners. I say most
because I've not used the Epson scanners that you mention, and I've
heard that some Epsons give very good results.

I have a "cheap" Epson flat bed that will scan slides and negatives,
and I've used it for scanning 4x4 negatives with decent results. I
have compared the results in scanning 35mm slides and negatives with
results from a fairly inexpensive Nikon (Coolscan IV) and the Coolscan
scans are clearly superior.

If cost is significant factor, then the Epson might do the job... but
if you really intend to scan as a "service" then you really need the
best equipment available.