Re: Network Drive Icon Covering Desktop Icon.

Dave Patrick

      9th Aug 2004
Control Panel|Display|Appearance|Advanced and try changing the icon size by
one, apply changes, then go back in and change the size back. This should
cause the operating system to rebuild the shelliconcache file which may be
in a corrupted state.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Tony C." wrote:
| I have a user that has the network drive icon covering her desktop icons.
How
| do I correct this situation.

George Hester

      9th Aug 2004
Yes what is called "corrupted icons" is almost always a result of shelliconcache being "disturbed." That file is hidden in C:\WINNT. What Dave suggested to do is the way the shelliconcache should be rebuilt in Windows 2000. Previous versions of Windows the shelliconcache file was deleted manually. Do not do that in Windows 2000

You can also increase your shelliconcache size. That is done in the Registry here:

Hey Dave you know one other thing that might work here? Shutdown boot into Safe Mode then boot back into Normal mode. Seems a little much though.

--
George Hester