Re: Missing printers causing long boot times?

Chuck

      31st May 2010
On 5/26/2010 2:06 PM, Hollis Paul wrote:
> A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided
> that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never
> operated properly since. We first deleted the printer object,
> connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to
> print. But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited
> for the refurb Lexmark to arrive. The Lexmark works fine, prints like
> a champ, but the boot still takes forever.
>
> Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost
> while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer of the shared
> printer on the other workstation? Is there a registry key that could
> have outdated printer data?
>
> The network is provided by a SBS 2003 installation at SP1.
>
> --
> Hollis Paul
> Mukilteo, WA USA

Many of the Epson printers have several modules that may not have been
removed properly. Depending upon the exact model, a "cleanup" utility
may be available on the Epson support web site. Other models require a
full install/uninstall, driven by software included on the support CD/DVD.
As to registry entries, the first search term to try is epson. I'd print
a text copy of these entries, so that references to "sub entries" are
readable, and thus actionable.