Re: Maintaining favicon for web site shortcut

Nil

      10th May 2011
On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

> "Nil" wrote in message
>
> On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
>
>> Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I
>> didn't have any problems before. Because of it I
>> shall refrain from further activity
>> in this particular area and gracefully bow out.
>> The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
>> to me, but from now on I have to tread more
>> carefully. Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and
>> most probably will continue to use it. Thank you
>> for arousing my awareness.

> There are other newsreaders that are far superior to Windows Live
> Mail, but if you really like it or don't feel adventurous enough
> to try out the others, you should consider uninstalling the
> current version and installing the previous version, Windows Live
> Mail 2009 (a.k.a. version 14.) It still has a number of big flaws,
> but at least it does a more reasonable job of quoting the previous
> message.
>
> But what happens to the stored data in WML2011?
> How can I preserve it before uninstalling the program?

Here's a perfect example of how broken WLM2011 is - it doesn't
distingish between what I said and what you said. Anyway...

I downgraded from WLM2011 to WLM2009 and it preserved everything.
I don't use it regularly, so I wasn't trying to be careful, and
it wouldn't have mattered to me if it had lost everything, but
all went well.

If the stuff is valuable to you, though, you should back up
your message store before attempting the downgrade. In WLM2009,
you can export and import your messages and your account
information from the File menu - presumably it works similarly
in WLM2011.

> I think this link to it on the Microsoft Download site still
> works:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...e-757693072a1c
>
> If not, here's a non-Microsoft source:
>
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_wi...ive_mail/8305/

webster72n

      11th May 2011

"Nil" wrote in message news:Xns9EE1B6E8657A3nilch1@130.133.4.11...

On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

> "Nil" wrote in message
>
> On 09 May 2011, "webster72n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
>
>> Never anticipated this kind of situation, since I
>> didn't have any problems before. Because of it I
>> shall refrain from further activity
>> in this particular area and gracefully bow out.
>> The newsreader issue in WLM2011 was not unbeknown
>> to me, but from now on I have to tread more
>> carefully. Otherwise I seem to like WLM2011 and
>> most probably will continue to use it. Thank you
>> for arousing my awareness.

> There are other newsreaders that are far superior to Windows Live
> Mail, but if you really like it or don't feel adventurous enough
> to try out the others, you should consider uninstalling the
> current version and installing the previous version, Windows Live
> Mail 2009 (a.k.a. version 14.) It still has a number of big flaws,
> but at least it does a more reasonable job of quoting the previous
> message.
>
> But what happens to the stored data in WML2011?
> How can I preserve it before uninstalling the program?

Here's a perfect example of how broken WLM2011 is - it doesn't
distingish between what I said and what you said. Anyway...

I downgraded from WLM2011 to WLM2009 and it preserved everything.

How exactly did you downgrade?
Right now I have 'Windows Mail' and 'Windows Live Mail 2011'
on my machine. When I tried to install 'WLM2009', I was asked to
first
uninstall the newer version, but I am very reluctant to do it,
because
I like it better. To me it is not broken at all, except for this
particular
issue. Maybe I'll find a way <g>.

> [...]

in WLM2011.

> I think this link to it on the Microsoft Download site still
> works:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...e-757693072a1c
>
> If not, here's a non-Microsoft source:
>
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_wi...ive_mail/8305/

Nil

      11th May 2011
On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

> How exactly did you downgrade?
> Right now I have 'Windows Mail' and 'Windows Live Mail
> 2011' on my machine. When I tried to install 'WLM2009',
> I was asked to
> first
> uninstall the newer version, but I am very reluctant to
> do it,
> because
> I like it better. To me it is not broken at all, except

OK. You'll create a lot of misunderstanding and confusion, but good
luck.

Gene E. Bloch

      11th May 2011
On 5/10/2011, Nil posted:
> On 10 May 2011, "webster72n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

>> How exactly did you downgrade?
>> Right now I have 'Windows Mail' and 'Windows Live Mail
>> 2011' on my machine. When I tried to install 'WLM2009',
>> I was asked to
>> first
>> uninstall the newer version, but I am very reluctant to
>> do it,
>> because
>> I like it better. To me it is not broken at all, except
>> for this
>> particular
>> issue. Maybe I'll find a way <g>.

> OK. You'll create a lot of misunderstanding and confusion, but good
> luck.

Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last two
posts, I couldn't...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Nil

      12th May 2011
On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
> two posts, I couldn't...

Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

Gene E. Bloch

      12th May 2011
On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
> On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

>> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
>> two posts, I couldn't...

> Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
> clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

I guess so...

:-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

webster72n

      12th May 2011

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
> On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

>> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
>> two posts, I couldn't...

> Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
> clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

I guess so...

I don't quite agree.
As I mentioned earlier, my replies are moved in five notches, or
so,
to remove the guess work <lol>.

:-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Gene E. Bloch

      13th May 2011
On 5/12/2011, webster72n posted:

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
>> On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

>>> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
>>> two posts, I couldn't...

>> Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
>> clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

> I guess so...

> I don't quite agree.
> As I mentioned earlier, my replies are moved in five notches, or
> so,
> to remove the guess work <lol>.

> :-)

And they fail at that task (for me, anyway).

Follow the excellent advice given to you - get and use a decent
newsreader.

In truth, they all have flaws, but it is best to choose flaws that
don't aleniate the experts :-)

(I'm not really an expert, but I do OK.)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

webster72n

      13th May 2011

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On 5/12/2011, webster72n posted:

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 5/11/2011, Nil posted:
>> On 11 May 2011, Gene E. Bloch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

>>> Nil, how did you manage to find webster72n's answers? In his last
>>> two posts, I couldn't...

>> Guesswork. Isn't that what it's all about??? Much more exciting than
>> clearly communicating ideas and knowledge!

> I guess so...

> I don't quite agree.
> As I mentioned earlier, my replies are moved in five notches, or
> so,
> to remove the guess work <lol>.

> :-)

And they fail at that task (for me, anyway).

Follow the excellent advice given to you - get and use a decent
newsreader.

In truth, they all have flaws, but it is best to choose flaws that
don't aleniate

and that's something we don't dare want to do?!