Re: list of 'safe' programs for Protected mode

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      10th Jan 2009
[Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]

Raymond Dunton wrote:
> When I get a protected mode dialog box and click the box to allow this
> program, does this put the program on a 'safe' list. If later I decide
> I don't want the program on that 'safe' list, how do I delete it? I
> have been getting protected mode warnings recently for programs that
> have never had warnings before and I was wondering if a program
> (malware) could have deleted this list.

FromTheRafters

      10th Jan 2009
>PA Bear [MS MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> Raymond Dunton wrote:
>> When I get a protected mode dialog box and click the box to allow this
>> program, does this put the program on a 'safe' list. If later I decide
>> I don't want the program on that 'safe' list, how do I delete it? I
>> have been getting protected mode warnings recently for programs that
>> have never had warnings before and I was wondering if a program
>> (malware) could have deleted this list.

An interesting point in this article:
"If Microsoft determines that an application has a vulnerability and
presents

a danger to end users, Microsoft reserves the right to remove that
application

at any time from the elevation policy."

FromTheRafters

      10th Jan 2009