Re: Left speaker won't work.

Bob Willard

      30th Sep 2008
Docient wrote:
> Can't get my left speaker to work, and the right one isn't real strong or
> clear.
>
> Have tried all the volume and balance settings.
>
> Have tried 2 different sound cards. One on board, the other a PCI, which is
> new.
>
> Have tried 3 different sets of speakers. Two sets of which are new.
>
> Any ideas?

Try cleaning the connectors on the audio cables; both PC to master speaker
and master speaker to slave speaker. I've fixed audio problems on my PCs
several times by simple cleaning, and it is easy: unplug each cable, and
wipe each connector with a clean cloth.
--
Cheers, Bob

Paul

      1st Oct 2008
Docient wrote:
> "Bob Willard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Docient wrote:
> | > Can't get my left speaker to work, and the right one isn't real strong
> or
> | > clear.
> | >
> | > Have tried all the volume and balance settings.
> | >
> | > Have tried 2 different sound cards. One on board, the other a PCI, which
> is
> | > new.
> | >
> | > Have tried 3 different sets of speakers. Two sets of which are new.
> | >
> | > Any ideas?
> | >

> | Try cleaning the connectors on the audio cables; both PC to master speaker
> | and master speaker to slave speaker. I've fixed audio problems on my PCs
> | several times by simple cleaning, and it is easy: unplug each cable, and
> | wipe each connector with a clean cloth.
> | --
> | Cheers, Bob
>
> Thanks Bob, but everything is new.

Use a Walkman or other audio device known to have a working line level output.
Connect that to the new speakers and test the speakers.

My $20 speakers have a LED on the front, which remains on at all times,
even when my computer is sleeping or off. I would expect the LED to
stay lit, if they were my speakers.

Bad cabling could do it, like if the cabling was worn, or there
was a bad connection. But when that cabling is used, with the
Walkman, you may get a better idea.

Note that some Creative sound cards, and Creative speaker sets, use
weird audio connectors. They may have four contacts instead of three.
For most other sets of stuff, the usual three contacts (Tip, Ring, Sleeve)
on the 1/8" connector, are what you'd expect to see. Here is a picture
of the usual 1/8" connector.

http://www.chantalcurrid.com/Remote/Images/PStereo.jpg

Paul

Peter Foldes

      1st Oct 2008
You have multiposted this and you got answers all over the place. DO NOT multipost please crosspost instead if needed and this did not need

Peter