Re: Laptop battery no longer gets charged

BillW50

      15th Aug 2011
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which
> is about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older software
> which may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently I noticed
> that it's no longer charging its battery. The battery is just over 1
> year old, and it replaced the original battery. I see the Power icon
> showing that I'm running on the AC mains, and that the battery has 0%
> charge left on it, but the icon doesn't show any charging going on.
>
> I could possibly get another battery, but I'm afraid that maybe
> there's nothing wrong with the battery, and the problem might lie
> with the circuitry that charges the battery from the mains. Any way
> to test this? The problem just occurred last week. Before that it was
> charging fine.
> Yousuf Khan

Too bad we are not neighbors... as I have seven good batteries that will
fit that model. I also have two worthless batteries that will fit it
too. They basically have virtually no capacity, but they will show a
charge if you use them on AC. If you want to pay for shipping, you can
have one or both of them. So what does the battery test button show?

I have nine Gateways that use that same battery. They are pretty cheap
on eBay (under 40 bucks). There is also a charger that uses the AC
adapter to charge the battery on eBay. But it isn't cheap, like about 80
bucks if I remember right.

If it were me, I'd look for another laptop. I like the Gateway M465 the
best (manufactures '06 to '07). As it can handle lots of different CPUs
(Celerons, Core Duo, and Core2 Duo), removable bay for a second battery,
floppy, and even a second hard drive. Plus they work with the RQ5
docking station. They sell for between 50 to 100 bucks on eBay.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3